• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Temporary stoma to heal anal fistullas

I had a stoma for 3 years and when I could afford it, I had it removed as I was completely healthy.
At that time it was thought that I had ulcerates colitis as my large colon was diseased and not my small intestine.
For about 4 years I was healthy and then I took on a very stressful cheffing job for one year.About a few months before my contract expired I started feeling unwell.
Runny eyes, back pain,vomiting,rashes and abscesses in the vaginal and anal area.
I was diagnosed with Crohns and had drains put in the abscesses which were the cause of fistullas.I had stool coming out of my vagina.
I was told I could have a bag again that would heal the fistullas but declined as I could not bear the thought of a bag again.
I am on immunosupressants now and when I can change my medical aid I can go on Humira.
My question is why cant I have a temporary bag to heal the fistullas and then have it removed.
Keeping in mind that the only time I have been sick in 23 years of having colitis/crohns is when I have had a long stressful experience.
If I could manage my stress better, could I not heal the fistullas with a temporary bag and avoid using my life savings for the Humira.Its very expensive and the doc says it would have to be taken for at least 2 years.

Fistulas don't heal very well on their own, but there are other options. i have had one for almost 8 years and have since developed more. We have a whole forum for fistulas so please check it out.

Some surgeons choose to place a seton through the fistula tract, doesn't heal it, but prevents it from abscessing.

Some people have also had success with biologic therapy, Humira or Remicade. Personally, I started Remicade in Jan, and my fistulas are better than they ever had been. My GI said they may never 100% heal, but it is helping. But you're right, those options are very expensive long term.