• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Temporary VS. Permanent Ostomy

I am just wondering how often and in what cases people end up getting just a temporary ostomy instead of a permanent one.

I have heard of people having it temporarily but can't find much on what determines this.

It seems that I am headed towards the surgical route, as much as I have been avoiding it, but I'm just curious what my odds are. I was hoping for a resection if anything, but it looks like my rectum may not be well enough.

I had a temporary one. After a year and a half on pred, I had surgery. The sutures pulled through internally, so the docs put me on a temp ostomy for 4 months to allow my bowels to heal up. It worked very well, and after getting used to the appliance, I honestly actually found it quite convenient in most cases. There were a few instances where it clearly wasn't beneficial (no hockey gear, golf due to its location). However, most day to day life was much easier for me than without the ostomy. Mine was reversed about a decade ago and I have been pretty good since then.