• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Test forBacterial Overgrowth (Lactulose) Breath Test

I am going to have this breath test at my gastro dr.'s office in a week or so.
They tell me it takes up to three hours, and if it shows bacterial overgrowth,
then some type of antibiotic will be prescribed. Has anyone had this test,
and what was your experience and if antibiotics were prescribed, which ones? For years I have done everything to avoid taking antibiotics because I believe they destroy good essential bacteria along with the undesirables. The reason
for giving the test is because of so much intestinal gas. I have crohn's/colitis
and am taking only LDN and 2 1/2mg. prednisone daily. Guess I would rate
my condition as moderate and have never had a real remission despite years
of all the typical drugs as well as unsuccessful Remicade, and Cimzia.

I had that test.
I had to follow a special diet the day before.
They gave me a special drink before the test, which during the test duration had a laxative effect on me, as it can do with some people. Completed it without too many problems though between toilet trips.
At various intervals I had to blow into a small handheld device.
Nothing more to it and the result of mine was normal.

Bacterial Overgrowth (Lactulose) breath Test

Because of such a problem with bloating and gas, I am having the bacterial overgrowth breath test. From what I have read, if it is positive, then an antibiotic such as Xifaxan or others are prescribed. Has anyone tested positive for this bacterial overgrowth and what was the treatment and outcome? I
have avoided antibiotics ever since being diagnosed with Crohn's/Colitis because
I know how important the good bacteria is to our intestines. Both good and
bad are wiped out by antibiotics. I also read that one course of
antibiotics to treat this is usually not the end and overgrowth will return. Any information you have to share would be greatly appreciated.