• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Tests Done - Am I clean?

Hello again everyone I haven't posted for a while but some of you may remember some of my previous posts. Since grade 9 I've suffered of diarrhea, abdominal pain, cramping, reduced appetite and weight loss, extreme fatigue, nausea, vomiting and delayed growth (shortest out of most my family).

I have had numerous blood tests, stool tests, urine tests, a colonoscopy with biopsies as well as a barium x-ray and many different diets where I would eliminate certain foods and food groups. However nothing worked and I still continue to feel sick.

All the tests have left me with diagnosis of IBS. I don't want to second guess the doctor however I'm not satisfied with my treatment. I am wondering if there are any people who had CLEAN colonoscopies and barium x-rays ended up finding out they had Crohns or Colitis in the end. If I had IBS then whatever I can deal with that. What I am worried is somehow it was missed and have this disease and not know it. I may sound a bit crazy but dealing with these symptoms daily I can't help but think it could be more serious.

Last edited:
Brenden,
I can see why you would be concerned. You are obviously one to take a hands on approach. Do you have copies of your scopes and all lab work?

Do you mind if I ask "were you treated with antibiotics for an extended period of time?" The reason I am asking is because one of our members here had the pleasure of meeting with Dr. Borody and found out that extensive antibiotic treatment he had a few years earlier for acne totally messed him up. It had caused so many GI issues that it landed him in the hospital a couple of times. It was like a miracle to find out he didnt have Crohns, or U.C.

But yes, the GI tract changes quickly and can appear somewhat normal especially when you are in remission.

I honestly think that with the tests you've had, in all probability you do not have Crohn's or Colitis, so I think you shouldn't worry too much about having Inflammatory Bowel Disease that's being left untreated.

I'm not sure that leads to the conclusion you just have IBS; I believe IBS is the fall-back diagnosis doctors use when they can't work out what's wrong with a person complaining of digestive problems, and consequently a considerable number of conditions end up being labeled as IBS.

It doesn't come down to you having either Crohn's/Colitis or IBS - there are any number of other possibilities, but the tests you've had also rule out many other conditions besides IBD.

So although the tests you've had should give you a good deal of confidence that nothing immediately serious is wrong with you, keep in mind that it is not normal for you to be having these symptoms. I think second-guessing doctors is actually a very intelligent thing to do.

What if a scope shows inflammation and then another scope months later shows no inflammation? Would that necessarily be remission? Could it still be IBS in the face of initial inflammation? I think Crohn's has to be the hardest disease to diagnose as there is no one test that conclusively diagnosis it.

Brenden,
I can see why you would be concerned. You are obviously one to take a hands on approach. Do you have copies of your scopes and all lab work?

Do you mind if I ask "were you treated with antibiotics for an extended period of time?" The reason I am asking is because one of our members here had the pleasure of meeting with Dr. Borody and found out that extensive antibiotic treatment he had a few years earlier for acne totally messed him up. It had caused so many GI issues that it landed him in the hospital a couple of times. It was like a miracle to find out he didnt have Crohns, or U.C.

But yes, the GI tract changes quickly and can appear somewhat normal especially when you are in remission.
I did take take oral anitbiotics for acne a while ago. How long do you consider an extended period of time? I do regularly apply a tropical antibiotic externally