• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Tetnus/whooping cough vaccination

I have been diagnosed with crohn's for over 8 years and taking pentasa.
I'm about to become a grandfather and my daughter wants me to be vaccinated for whooping cough. Does anyone know if it's a go for crohn's patients? Thanks for any information you may know.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
From the CDC website -
Tdap vaccine (Combined Tetanus, Diphtheria & Pertussis)
•A person who has ever had a life-threatening allergic reaction after a previous dose of any diphtheria, tetanus or pertussis containing vaccine, OR has a severe allergy to any part of this vaccine, should not get Tdap vaccine. Tell the person giving the vaccine about any severe allergies.
•Anyone who had coma or long repeated seizures within 7 days after a childhood dose of DTP or DTaP, or a previous dose of Tdap, should not get Tdap, unless a cause other than the vaccine was found. They can still get Td.
•Talk to your doctor if you: ◦have seizures or another nervous system problem,
◦had severe pain or swelling after any vaccine containing diphtheria, tetanus or pertussis,
◦ever had a condition called Guillain Barré Syndrome (GBS),
◦aren't feeling well on the day the shot is scheduled.

This information was taken directly from the Tdap VIS
(This information taken from Td-Tdap VIS dated 2/24/15. If the actual VIS is more recent than this date, the information on this page needs to be updated.)