• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Thank you!

Thank you to everyone who has had the courage to share their story...

I've been with my Boyfriend for 3.5 years, he is living with Crohn's. Our relationship has been very rocky. I now feel that it's had a lot to do with the fact that he's always quick to get mad and bail if we have an argument, I'd get frustrated if he didn't want to be intimate, or feeling like "my stomach hurts" was always an excuse. Bailing, and being frustrated always seemed to be his outlet. It wasn't until recently that he started being more open about his Crohn's. I've always known this is something he's lived with. But, because he wasn't comfortable with it he's never had the patience to make me understand. Instead he reacts to his symtoms, and it created an issue with us.

Today I was frustrated with everything and my intentions were to tell him I'm done. In doing this I spilled everything about being upset, and in return he did the same. For the first time in 3.5 years he was honest with me about his desires to be happy and live a normal life with me. But, Crohn's was putting a stop to that. Knowing that was such a relief. After he went to work(he's a cop on night shift, definitely does not help his symptoms any) I decided to take it upon myself to type "being in a relationship with someone who has Crohn's". WOW, WOW, WOW.... That decision was life changing. I've seen so many posts of people saying the same things my Boyfriend has always said the "I was scared to tell my Wife anything negative because it would send her into a flair up". Something that I always thought was an excuse to get out of a negative conversation. Or seeing the fear people have of being intimate because they were scared they'd have an accident.

I've always wanted to be there for him prior to today, that's why I'm still here after all of this time. But, now more than ever I want to be the one to open his eyes and seeing he isn't the only one and yes it sucks. But, it sucks a lot less with someone who loves you and wants to help you. He's currently on Remicade, which is not working. Because he's seeing no result he's very discouraged. I'm happy that I can do my own research on diet change, and pamper him with these foods that may help. I understand that I can't cure this for him, and that maybe there is nothing I can do. But, the best thing I feel I can offer him now that I'm aware is understanding, and someone to just be there and not give him a hard time about it.

I feel like I can exhale, today is life changing. I believe today is the first day of the rest of our life.

I wish everyone much happiness, and good health... THANK YOU!

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I am so pleased you have decided to join to learn more about this disease, it is certainly a tricky one and we crohnie's can get very good at internalising things as we don't want to seem a bother and we get used to living with discomfort and pain. Has your boyfriend got an appt to see his doc about the fact that he is still having problems on the Remi? Do you know what other meds have been tried for him? To find out more about the food side of things do check our diet and sups forum: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17, we even have a new juicing sub forum to have a look at.

Wishing you both all the best.

AB
xx

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum!

It's great you're so supportive of him! I hope things will improve for you two now that everything is out in the open.

You might want to check out the Partners, Family & Friends section of the Support forum, here, if you haven't already.

I'm also wondering if he has discussed with his doctor the problems with Remicade? Do you know if he has tried other medications?

I really hope things go well for the both of you! :hug:

Thank you for your responses... His first dose did not provide relief, so they doubled his dose on 28 Dec. Still no signs of relief, it almost seems as if his symptoms are worse. Dr said even if they switch to something new they needed to give this time to get out of his system. So he has an appt the first week of Feb. Hopefully he will find comfort soon.