• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

The ability of fish oil to suppress TNF Alfa

http://www.bioportfolio.com/LeadDiscovery/PubMed-010202.htm

The overproduction or inappropriate production of TNF-alpha has been implicated as having an important, often causative, role in both sepsis and autoimmune diseases. This has resulted in the development of pharmaceuticals able to reverse the overproduction of TNF-alpha, notably Infliximab and Etanercept which have been approved as treatments for Crohns disease and rheumatoid arthritis. In addition to these molecules, fish oil has been investigated in clinical trials as a natural regulator of TNF-alpha in the context of these diseases by a number of authors. The consensus opinion is that fish oil supplementation of the diet can be beneficial to sufferers of both IBD and rheumatoid arthritis.

British researchers have extended our understanding of this field still further, demonstrating that single nucleotide polymorphisms in the TNF-alpha and beta genes can determine the effectiveness of fish oil as an anti-inflammatory agent. These researchers have patented the use of genotype testing to optimize the selection of patients that could benefit most from fish oil supplementation. The potential of such tests is immense given the safety of fish oil supplementation and it cost effectiveness compared to Infliximab and Etanercept. Partners are now being sought to develop the patent for clinical use.

Astra

Thanks Mazen
very interesting, I'm taking Cod Liver Oil supps, does that count?
hope you're recovering well and in good health?
xxx

Thanks Joan. I'm doing fine actually and started to gain weight.

Cod liver oil has Omega3, but not as concentrated as you get in pharmaceutical grade fish oils. i'm taking on enow from GNC that has 400mg EPA and 200 mg DHA per capsule. Hope i'm the right genotype for fish oil to help me :)

P.S: You have to be careful if you are taking a multivitamin that has preformed Vit A with cod liver oil as it also contains preformed Vit A, and you don't want to have too much of that....