• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

The China Study. Great Read!

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Sorry, I asked on the other post what the premise of the book is. Now I see!! It's amazing to me that if I had read this book before reading "Eat Right 4 Your Type", I may have a completely different view on nutrition. Eat Right is based on years of study as well and is broken into the four blood types and the origins of those blood types. Type O's like me have our ancestry going back the furthest to Africa according to the book. The theory is that since O's were hunter/gatherers that our system is more inclined to meat and natural vegetable crops as opposed to agriculturally produced grain. I can't remember the exact breakdown but as man began to branch out, the blood types altered to fit the type of diet they were more exposed to in a particular part of the world. Eat Right also makes a compelling argument for it's premise. It does not, however, make any claims regarding cancer or it's treatment. There are case studies in the book that, if true, would certainly make one think there could be something to the research. One in particular is a woman with crohn's who suffered for years on a complete vegetarian diet and was adamantly opposed to eating meat. Her doctor finally convinced her to try the ( I'm pretty sure she was type O) blood type diet that consisted largely of meat and supposedly her symptoms cleared. Who knows?

The China Study's intro certainly sounds intriguing.

It is a great book. not much on crohn's specifically but there are some good artices on the author's website. :thumleft:

Sensible book, with many useful ideas (not necessarily for certain Crohn's restricted diets.)
Dexky, the 'blood type diet' has been largely discredited. Since primates also have the same blood types as us it is believed that blood type differentiations occured prior to the branching of our species, long before humans evolved. The understanding is that bacteria and viruses caused the variations in blood types (by causing protein variations on the blood cell surface to protect the host.) There is evidence that certain blood types are better protected against certain diseases, such as malaria.

A great book so far. The reason why the author doesn't target Crohn's specifically is because he feels it is not genuine to his understanding of nutrition. Example, we all have predispositions for certain diseases. We got IBD, others get Cancer or MS or something else. What triggers these genes to creating the disease is the same in all of us: too much animal protein according to the study. They liken the genes to seeds. If you feed the bad genes bad stuff, they will grow. If you feed them good food, they will not. Instead of treating the disease you treat the whole body. They were able to selectively turn cancer on and off by limiting protein in the diet. By eating a plant based diet you can halt or reverse disease in the body.
Now don't get me wrong, i'm the biggest fan of meat in the world. Also, i only eat organic and they basically state in the book organic isn't that much better for you if you eat too much animal food. Chemical exposure to carcinogens is far less harmful to animals and humans on a primarily plant based diet. I am currently reading the book so that's all i got but i'm about to embark on this diet, the most comprehensive study of nutrition ever conducted.

wow, i'm really interested in reading this!!!! has anyone totally changed the way they eat because of this book? how has it affected you?