• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

The Computer hate it or love it?

Bufford

I wish they could make computers that do only one task and do it well. I retired before the computer made its way into my workplace except for one we used for building security. Otherwise my job at the steam plant was hands on, with a tad of instinct and a lifetime of experience.

Once retired I got my first computer and didn't even know how to turn the lousy thing on. Now after several years I have the basics, I can do email, but don't ask me how to work with photos, (I'd like to add an avatar),or music. I buy CDs at the music store, and do know how to make copies to save the original from scratches. I use a CD player for all my music like I once did with 8 tracks & cassettes not that long ago. I don't have a clue how to download music or put music into those little players. I'd have better luck being asked to land a 747 in an emergency than to work with so called computer apps.

Why can they not make computers that are tasked to do only one thing? I mean this laptop can do everything, but it does it very poorly unless one is a teenager or a rocket computer scientist working for the space station.

I would like one machine set up specifically to do only text like a standard typewriter. A second machine for doing only video, and another for only music, and a 3rd set up for internet use. With buttons that will only do one function not millions.

Why in this day and age can we not a blue ray recorder, so that I can make recordings from my video camera via a simple plug like we did when we still had VHS tapes? I've paid good money to hire people to transfer video from my camera to blue ray discs. I mean the old VHS tape recorder is so far more advanced that those machines today that only play back DVD when I want them to be able to record off of my HD camera and shows from the satellite dish like I once did with VHS. I wish there was a way to just play video files on to my TV from the computer and not have to get help. At least there should be instructions on how where to start with these video software that come with the camera. So much I would like to do, but I am simply overwhelmed by the complexities. Technology has left me in the dust.

I have a cell phone, the older flip phone style and I make only telephone calls with it. I have no idea what the other functions are for, and I tape on paper on the back for my phone book to look up numbers. I have no clue how to use the electronic phone book. It even has a camera, but I have no clue how to turn it on. I tried using one of those big computer phones everyone raves about, but could not navigate it to even make a phone call. Useless for me in an emergency. Why not make a cell phone like the shoe phone on Get Smart, with a real rotory dial?

I hate the darn things, and when I got viruses I was so tempted to throw the PC monitor, tower and all out the window. Why would anyone create a computer virus? They are hard enough to use when they work right. So much I would like to do, but I am simply overwhelmed by the complexities. Technology has left me in the dust. Microsoft, how about software for seniors?

scottsma

I'm with you Bufford.I taught myself the basics on my lap top,and my phone is a flip top,actually held together with electricians tape.I can afford a new one, but why would I when the old (3yrs) one works ok.I appreciate that the internet is extremely useful,especially in business and medicine etc.but it's definitely not natural to see almost everyone under 50 walking around with their heads down surfing the net,talking in a loud voice while alone,or with earphones on completely oblivious to everything around them,including traffic.Family time is suffering and people are increasingly rude by being consumed with what's on the screen in their hand or the loud sounds being drummed through their brains.Having said all that,I do enjoy our forum and wouldn't like to be without it.

I can get so mad/frustrated when inanimate objects don't work as they should. I expect people to behave erratically, so that doesn't upset me, but I'll throw my phone across the room when it pisses me off

Bufford

I don't understand why people constantly look down on their phones all day when I am in public places. There is going to be a whole generation of hunchbacks once they get a little older. They are nothing but electronic leashes from my take.

I wish they could make computers that do only one task and do it well. I retired before the computer made its way into my workplace except for one we used for building security. Otherwise my job at the steam plant was hands on, with a tad of instinct and a lifetime of experience.

Once retired I got my first computer and didn't even know how to turn the lousy thing on. Now after several years I have the basics, I can do email, but don't ask me how to work with photos, (I'd like to add an avatar),or music. I buy CDs at the music store, and do know how to make copies to save the original from scratches. I use a CD player for all my music like I once did with 8 tracks & cassettes not that long ago. I don't have a clue how to download music or put music into those little players. I'd have better luck being asked to land a 747 in an emergency than to work with so called computer apps.

Why can they not make computers that are tasked to do only one thing? I mean this laptop can do everything, but it does it very poorly unless one is a teenager or a rocket computer scientist working for the space station.

I would like one machine set up specifically to do only text like a standard typewriter. A second machine for doing only video, and another for only music, and a 3rd set up for internet use. With buttons that will only do one function not millions.

Why in this day and age can we not a blue ray recorder, so that I can make recordings from my video camera via a simple plug like we did when we still had VHS tapes? I've paid good money to hire people to transfer video from my camera to blue ray discs. I mean the old VHS tape recorder is so far more advanced that those machines today that only play back DVD when I want them to be able to record off of my HD camera and shows from the satellite dish like I once did with VHS. I wish there was a way to just play video files on to my TV from the computer and not have to get help. At least there should be instructions on how where to start with these video software that come with the camera. So much I would like to do, but I am simply overwhelmed by the complexities. Technology has left me in the dust.

I have a cell phone, the older flip phone style and I make only telephone calls with it. I have no idea what the other functions are for, and I tape on paper on the back for my phone book to look up numbers. I have no clue how to use the electronic phone book. It even has a camera, but I have no clue how to turn it on. I tried using one of those big computer phones everyone raves about, but could not navigate it to even make a phone call. Useless for me in an emergency. Why not make a cell phone like the shoe phone on Get Smart, with a real rotory dial?

I hate the darn things, and when I got viruses I was so tempted to throw the PC monitor, tower and all out the window. Why would anyone create a computer virus? They are hard enough to use when they work right. So much I would like to do, but I am simply overwhelmed by the complexities. Technology has left me in the dust. Microsoft, how about software for seniors?
You are talking like a member in my family who shall remain unnamed. :)

Computers are meant for multi-tasking. Imagine having many machines. You are on Skype talking to your friend and want to send a photo to your friend on the other end. You would have to rummage through a different machine, a photo server. Besides that would be economically inefficient.

Viruses are nasty, I agree. Yesterday a virus struck the institute where I am a research scholar, and a lot of data was wiped off :(

I work as an xray tech so I'm around computers all day. It's a bad day when the computer isn't working. Plus we had to go to electronic medical records and that can be a pretty big nightmare somedays.

I'm 21, grew up in the tech generation and I'm happy about that.

I love having my phone that is a mini computer with a calculator, notes, contacts, photos, games and I am surf the Internet. It's massively convenient. Before my current iPhone I had a blackberry and an iPod so I used my blackberry for phone calls and trying and my iPod for everything else. Carrying 2 things around was annoying. Plus changing two things, maintaining things, cases for two, etc.

Computers can be super frustrating at time but overall I am quite happy to have them. I await the day where I have access to my medical test results and communications via a secure web portal (we don't have that here in Canada). I live 45 min away from my doctor and about half our communication on the phone already and it can be tricky to find a time when we are both avalible. Online communication for routine prescriptions fills and test results would be awesome.

Overall it's a learning curve but for me it's well worth it.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I grew up with the old Apple computers in the computer lab in elementary school but didn't really start using computers and going online until I was 16. It took a little time to get used to and there's so many different commands I don't quite know but I get by just fine. Computers, tablets and cell phones make life so much easier and help us get in touch with people from all around the world (without it you wouldn't be here).

I'd like to help you add an avatar but to do that you'll need a photo. Do you have anyone who might be able to help you take a photo with your cell phone, web cam or digital camera? If you let me know what kind of phone you have then I can look up how to take a photo on it for you. From there you can email the image to yourself or better yet you can email it to me and I'll edit the photo and make it fit as your avatar. :)

As for viruses, best thing to do is stay away from obvious sites that are known to carry viruses, never download anything you aren't 100% sure is good (if you're downloading music for example make sure it ends in .mp3 and not .exe as that's more than likely a virus) and get virus protection. AVG is free and so is Ad-Aware Antivirus.

Bufford

I am busy today, but over the next few days I should have time Jennifer. I have some photos from the sony camera that has been stored in a storage drive. Thanks for the offer.

Love my tech because without it apart from meeting all the wonnderful folk on here Mandykinz included 😆😆😆
i would never have met and fallen quite irresistibly in love with my Anita 🙄🙄🙄

I work with computers for my day job. Started with the original IBM PC in 1981. Windows during the day, Mac OSX during the night at home. I don't like to spend the entire day on a computer - it strains the eyes and I enjoy other hobbies. I won't do everything on the computer - IE I still keep address/phone book on paper.

They do make computers that do one thing well. Microwave ovens have computers in them. So do cell phones, Video/DVD/CD players, radios, washer/dryer, dishwasher, your car likely has a computer for dashboard and ignition control... too many to name.

I gave up on Windows at home five years ago and made the jump to Mac. Viruses aside, my Windows computers all seem to rot away as things just stop working abruptly. Since I play the piano I utilize muscle memory when using computers. Every time Microsoft releases new software they move things around and I don't like having to search for stuff all over again.

Migrating to Mac was easier than I thought, and they have apps that can import files from Word, Excel, Powerpoint, music and images. Mac is far more secure against malware and it is a better computer. Yes they are more expensive but you get what you pay for.

I'm not a gadget person either. I don't rush out to buy the latest greatest iTinCanOnString.