• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

The eyes have it???

the eyes have it???

Does anyone else get recurring eye infections?
For the last 3 years, on and off, I get an eye 'irratation'
I seem to be 'crying' or oozy(yeah, gross, I know...heehee) at one or both eyes. It blurs my vision something aweful.
I read somewhere, I don't remember where, that it is an affect of CD.
Please give me all your 'oozy' feedback on this.

M

mrs. vr

Yes. The one I get is called episcleritis. The white of my eye gets really red and ugly. My five year old says it looks like the bad guy from Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

This week I have something new, I have actual PAIN in my eyes. They started to feel achy, like when you have a high fever, or are dehydrated, which I didn't, and wasn't. Then they started hurting really bad when I moved them side to side or up and down. It scared me. I called the rheum yesterday morning to see if he thought it was related, or I need to see the ophthalmologist, or what, and they haven't called back yet.

Good thing they haven't fallen out yet. sheesh.

Yes. I've had a couple of bouts of iritis, and it was horrible. Hurt like I don't know what, so sensitive to light I couldn't leave the house, and just streaming all the time.

Not fun.

ive had quite abit of irritation over the past year, a sort of itch, that i never had before crohn's but thats about it

M

mrs. vr

I finally got a call back from the rheum. office. The doctor told the nurse (who told the lady with the alligator purse...ok, I need help) that it IS related to the inflammatory process in my body, and can be serious, so he wants me to see the ophthalmologist, who, of course can't fit me in til Oct. 13.

My doc only tells me after nearly three years of symptoms that it is related to CD.
The eye docs have tried averything.

Mrs. vr, it makes sense that it is related to the inflammatory process.
Can you tell my GI didn't delve into the details of the why's and hows...

Mine get puffy and my vision gets a little blurry sometimes. Kind of like having bad allergies except it quite often happens without any other allergy symptoms. It used to be really common but seems to be less frequent now.

When I first went to the doctor last fall about issues I was having, my eyes were red and sore too. I thought maybe it was pink eye at the time, icky...I also had what I think were canker sores (mouth ulcers) at the time.

I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not it's a bad idea to wear contacts if you've had these problems in the past? Now that I'm going to school full time I'm wearing my glasses everyday, but they make my left ear throb after I've had them on for a while.

M

mrs. vr

small update: I called back and they're seeing me tomorrow.

I also have a mouth ulcer, and that crud on the corner of my lips this week, s.a.m.

Wiles said:
I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not it's a bad idea to wear contacts if you've had these problems in the past? Now that I'm going to school full time I'm wearing my glasses everyday, but they make my left ear throb after I've had them on for a while.
I specifically asked about this when I first went for contacts. The only thing they were concerned about were the steroids. They make the surface of the eye softer more deformable apparently.

As it is, I don't have problems with them.

Creepy Lurker said:
I specifically asked about this when I first went for contacts. The only thing they were concerned about were the steroids. They make the surface of the eye softer more deformable apparently.

As it is, I don't have problems with them.

What do you mean deformable? Is that bad?

I recently got a stye and seem to be more sensitive to light than before. No eye redness though yet. I use to get mouth sores (canker sores) all the time when I was younger...so far recently I just had a few times where the side of my tongue hurt like it was going to get a sore, but never did.

So as to create astigmatism(sp), or pop a blood vessel in your eye if you try to squeeze the contact out of your eye to hard....fun is not

M

mrs. vr

I just got back from the ophthalmologist and here's what she told me; It wasn't anything terribly serious, but she said that people with autoimmune illnesses often have a compromised lacrimal gland, so they aren't making enough tears, which, in turn makes your eyes dry, causing pain, etc. She said that happens even in people who have other illnesses besides sjogrens.

SO...Im starting out with two different kinds of OTC drops, but I took home an Rx for another type of drop if those don't help.

rassafrassa, more stuff to deal with, grrrr.

Hope the drops work for you.

My mom had a severe dry eye problem...something about her tear ducts not working right. She had to have a minor surgery on her tear ducts and now she is fine.

Eye Probs

I also noticed eye related problems after starting Asacol too many years ago to recall.

The first thing to happen was I had to get glasses within a few months of beginning the meds. At the time my doc said there was no relationship to Crohn's. I ran across another Crohn's patient who also needed glasses after starting Asacol. Coincidence? Maybe.

The second problem is recurring sty's in the eyelids. I've also noticed that this symptom seems to be tied in to the amount of chocolate consumed. Too bad as this is one of the most important food groups. The chocolate also leads to increased inflammation of the colon when taken in large doses. Go figure. Life is not fair.

Best Regards,
Booker