• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

The flu.... Again....

Hey!!! Just wondering if anyone else gets recurring flu symptoms with their crohn's? Majority of the time for me it's just a sore throat coupled with a sore tongue and difficulty swallowing... Other times a full blown flu...

The worst part is that I am a singer... So getting these flu's all the time is messing with my music career :-(

JJ

David

Co-Founder
Hey!!! Just wondering if anyone else gets recurring flu symptoms with their crohn's? Majority of the time for me it's just a sore throat coupled with a sore tongue and difficulty swallowing...
Based upon your other post in this forum, I'm guessing this is more vitamin deficiency related than flu.

Other times a full blown flu...
What are your symptoms when it is full blown flu?

Hi david, I have the full blown flu now... Coughing up green phlegm sneezing running nose VERY sore throat.. Body aches, earaches, headaches... Trouble swallowing ( moreso due to pain in my throat than anything else which differs from the non-full blown flu version)

all this is very different from the not full blown flu... With that I get a sore itchy tongue, sore inflamed throat (the back of my throat goes a deep red colour and produces little ulcer type things) dry throat, trouble swallowing food (sometimes I choke on the most easy to swallow things) and a cracking voice...

I would be over the moon if it was just a vitamin deficiency rather than crohns!! As mentioned I am a singer... So if all it took to fix was some vitamins... I would be so grateful!!

Have asked this in my other post but will ask again here... Do u have any idea which vitamin(s) I might be lacking?

David

Co-Founder
Ewww, sorry you're having such tough symptoms :( The flu sure sucks.

As for the other stuff, I don't know for sure, but a lot of people here have done well taking a complex B vitamin. I know iron deficiency can also cause throat issues, but I assume your doctor has been looking for that.

Funny you say that lol... I mentioned it again to my doc yesterday and she ordered a blood test looking for B12 & iron deficiency lol... So could be all fixed soon!!! Yaaayyy thank you for your help!!

It turned out to be a food allergy... Not sure what I am allergic to exactly... But am now on antihistamines and have had no trouble since!!!!! Yaaaayyyy!!!!