• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

The Flu and Humira

Hi guys, so I am currently battling the flu. I was just diagnosed yesterday and my 103 fever finally broke a few hours ago. However, I am due for my humira shot today and I haven't heard back from my GI if I should still take it or not. Has anyone here been in this predicament? I don't know what to do. Oh, and of course I don't remember if I had my flu shot or not. I'm usually so good with that!!

Did you start taking an antiviral ( tamiflu) for the flu? There are 4 antivirals for the flu. They work best if given within 48 hours of first symptoms and can decrease severity and length of symptoms. See info here https://www.cdc.gov/flu/treatment/whatyoushould.htm#when-taken I do not have crohns and am not immunocompromised but I have used tamiflu twice when I had the flu and my son who has crohns on remicade used it too and it seemed to be a big help. If you haven’t, I suggest calling your doctor to ask about it.

I am no expert but I see that humira info says it “can lower your ability to fight infections like the seasonal flu.” For this reason, I would not take humira while sick with the flu. I would hold off until I could reach my doctor.

Hope you feel better soon!

Did you start taking an antiviral ( tamiflu) for the flu? There are 4 antivirals for the flu. They work best if given within 48 hours of first symptoms and can decrease severity and length of symptoms. See info here https://www.cdc.gov/flu/treatment/whatyoushould.htm#when-taken I do not have crohns and am not immunocompromised but I have used tamiflu twice when I had the flu and my son who has crohns on remicade used it too and it seemed to be a big help. If you haven’t, I suggest calling your doctor to ask about it.

I am no expert but I see that humira info says it “can lower your ability to fight infections like the seasonal flu.” For this reason, I would not take humira while sick with the flu. I would hold off until I could reach my doctor.

Hope you feel better soon!

Thank you for replying! Yes I have started taking tamiflu. I started it yesterday after I was diagnosed. I left a message with my GI's nurse but haven't heard back so I am definitely holding off my humira dose until tomorrow. I'm also going to call my primary care doctor tomorrow and see what he thinks too. Being on immosuppressants really complicates things!

my little penguin

Staff member
Definitely wait for your Gi to respond
We have been told for my kiddo any fever and we are told hold the biologic and methotrexate he is .
Any infection requiring antibiotics sane thing we hold the biologic /mtx until the Gi and rheumatologist determine it’s ok to resume

hope you feel better soon

Thanks for replying my little penguin. I am actually finishing up a round of antibiotics right now. I was sick with a cold for two weeks so my PCP gave me antibiotics and then I caught the flu from one of my students. It is now starting to dawn on me that I was likely sick with the cold for that long because I'm on humira. Its probably the reason why i caught the flu too.