• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

The Holidays

I remember as a I young girl loving the holiday season. I used to decorate the house, shop for days, go see light shows, go to parties, bake what seems like thousands of cookies and generally live it up.... Now every year I dread it. I dread the food, I dread the parties, I dread the 8 million questions of why can't you drink? why can't you eat (insert random holiday food) I even dread the shopping. (the lines for the bathrooms are enough to make me run back home) I dread the flare up that always comes in late Dec or early January.

Now I have to add Humira to my list of dreads through this one. I have to PLAN for several down days after the shot, and I slow way down right before the shot. So I generally feel like crap (not a flare mind you just under the weather) for a week out of every two. So I am looking at my Christmas to-do list and wondering if I am going to make it this time or have a hospital trip before Dec. 25th.

My son is now 13, so I can do less but I feel so bad if I cut important traditions out. Anyone else feel like this or have suggestions?

Thanks for reading this.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I know the feeling. I especially hate shopping in crowded stores, so I try to do my xmas shopping well in advance (I'm already more than halfway done). If going to the stores aren't a very good option, what about doing some of your shopping online? Most sites offer deals like free shipping around the holidays, just make sure you don't wait until the last minute or it won't arrive in time!

And as for the food, I tend to always carry a couple of Ensures and/or bananas in my purse whenever I go somewhere that I don't know if the food will be safe for me or not. (In fact, I told my mother that I want a banana carrying case for xmas so that my bananas don't get all bruised up in my purse! Ha ha.) If you're feeling self-conscious, bring a vanilla Ensure and pour it into a glass and tell everyone you're drinking eggnog. :)

Are there traditions you can do with your son that don't require a lot of effort? Like, you can still watch holiday movies together or listen to xmas music, that kind of stuff always puts me in the holiday spirit. Or even just go for a short drive to look at all the decorations people have put up. I'm sure your son understands that you're not always feeling well enough to bake cookies or whatever. Just let him know that you're doing what you can.

Cat,
Thanks for your response. I know my son understands that I do what I can... I think it is just wearing on me after almost 12 years to have to say "I can't". I did start my shopping online, and stocked up on immodium for the black friday mess my friends insist I go with for.. (they will show up at 3 am and make me if I dont just go)

I wish I could put crohn's on hold, every so often, ya know what I mean?

I know how you feel !!! My kids are 7 and 4 so really into Christmas, and I just find it so hard to deal with.
I love Xmas and everything about it, I love cooking the dinner etc I just find everything is 10 x harder at the holidays my main problem is the shopping and panic to find the loos !! Also not eating so I can go to parties etc so it's not spoilt for every one else, making sure I'm stocked up on all my meds ! Fed up of being the only sober person at the party and driving home lol
I haven't started my Xmas shopping as I've been in hospital and now money is tight.
Oh well maybe this year will be more relaxed I hope so for everyone on here aswell

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Oh no, Black Friday shopping! I mistakenly did that last year, and it was miserable. (And I flared up immediately afterwards, possibly because of the stress!) If I were you, I'd tell your friends you're not going, and then lock the doors, put some earplugs in and sleep in. If they knock on your door or call you, you won't hear it because of the earplugs. ;) Ha ha. And just think, if you stay home on Black Friday, you can rest and save up some energy to do something nice with your son.

You know, I just might try it.. if I know my friends they will bust the door down and or make my dogs spaz till everyone else in the house gets up!

Jen, I am right there with you, My son was 18 months old when Crohn's entered our lives. The guilt of the things mom can't do gets overwhelming at times...

On a side note, my husband won a turkey from work. My mother in law is already cooking a turkey for Thanksgiving so now I am making a turkey dinner just to have this week.. No room in the freezer!!