• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

The Ostomy Commandments

I believe all of us with an ostomy do certain things for or about our ostomy almost in a relgious fashion. Maybe how we set up and prep during a change or making sure you have some supplies on you before you leave the house for any where. So what is your ostomy commandment? Here is mine...

Thou shall not go to bed without emptying my bag.

I have about a thousand more. what's yours?

The commandment I broke last night,
Thou shall not try to burp a very full and very inflated bag while lying down in bed.

A minor 3 am mess. :(

Nyx

Thou shalt not burp your bag in your significant other's face. Apparently they don't like it.

*that's what he got for trying to give me a dutch oven*lol

Thou shall continue to be an a**hole evn though I don't have one anymore.

as for burping my bag... i always do it and no good ever seems to come of it . I always seem to get a hand cramp when When I do this. But I have NEVER EVER get a cramp any other time.

Terriernut

The commandment I broke last night,
Thou shall not try to burp a very full and very inflated bag while lying down in bed.

A minor 3 am mess. :(
Oh Joe!!! Thou Shalt Always Burp the Bag in the LOO!!

Thou Shalt NEVER think that you can lie there another 5 minutes in bed even though the bag is FULL!

Thou Shalt Never think ....yeah...I can get another day outta that...when you know DAMN well you cant.

Thou Shalt Never think...yeah, I can aim at 4am in the dark.....

Thou Shalt NEVER wear white pants/trousers. And we think we didnt learn that BEFORE we had a bag??

Thou Shalt NEVER eat mexican food before a big meeting. A nice quiet room big meeting!

Thou Shalt Never think one can wear a tight pair of trousers right over your stoma and think nothing will happen!
Misty

LMAO - pun intended!!

Thou shalt always remember to put clip back on following changing the bag.
Thou shalt not eat for three hours before putting motorbike leathers on.
Thou shalt not ignore that itch - the bag is coming adrift.
Thou shalt not panic when you feel bag coming off while teaching 40 students.

You are kidding yourself when you say "just a few more minutes of sleep, ill change the bag in 5 more minutes.."

Yeah, and your whole wafer and bedsheets as well :)

Terriernut

Thou shalt not burp your bag in your significant other's face. Apparently they don't like it.

*that's what he got for trying to give me a dutch oven*lol
Thou shalt ALWAYS get revenge on partner because why else would God give us a stoma??? It IS an automatic weapon of a kind isnt it?? (did I get the wrong memo?)

Thou shalt always buy "Oust/or US equivalent" spray for the bathroom. Especially when it's en-suite! :)