• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

The Sound of Silence

Hi. I've been living with a stoma for a year. Most of my colon was removed during the surgery. I've Crohn's.

My main problem is the noise my stoma makes, especially in places like libraries. I have to go to a library and sit there for hours every day. You know, it is kind of embarrassing when it makes noise in that silent environment, and due to that I sometimes get a little paranoid too.

I've done some research, and some people suggest that mixing peppermint oil with water, and drinking it regularly helps.
Has anyone tried that?

I avoid foods that'd increase intestinal gas, to reduce the noise. But I don't know what else I can do.

Are there any other effective ways to reduce the noise my stoma makes?

Thanks in advance.

I don't have a stoma but my tummy often makes really gurgle noises that you can hear from across the room. I tried peppermint tea which helped a bit but I don't like the taste. Ginger tea helped most.