• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

The start of my happy ending.

Hello,
Not a success story yet but more of a start, thought it may help someone if I share.

Had a couple of days to sort my head out, and have decided i only have one life and its time to live that life for me.
I have decided i am not going to return to Nursing after quitting my job last week. I am going to follow my dream, i have just contact the Civil Aviation Authority to get my class one medical. Then going to take a loan out and complete my Airline Transport Licence. This has been my dream since I could talk was going to join the RAF. Luckley about 8 years ago IBD is no longer a bar to proffesional flying, so going to do it.
I cant face the chance if going back into healthcare and end up being treated like crap, i have a couple nursing freinds with IBD and they have all been treated terrible.

Fingers crossed i will soon be posting with the conclusion to be beggining of my happy ending.

Wow, I'm excited for you! First, the doctor said you shouldn't live and now your'e a nurse. It's incredibly unfortunate that those with IBD in healthcare are treated so poorly by their peers. I would think that is a place for support.

I hope you update this thread as you pursue your Airline Transport Licence. Are you going to try to join the RAF? That would be cool. I spend ten years in the USAF and loved it.

Wow, I'm excited for you! First, the doctor said you shouldn't live and now your'e a nurse. It's incredibly unfortunate that those with IBD in healthcare are treated so poorly by their peers. I would think that is a place for support.

I hope you update this thread as you pursue your Airline Transport Licence. Are you going to try to join the RAF? That would be cool. I spend ten years in the USAF and loved it.
Hey bud thanks for the message, i will keep you guys upto date. Would love to join the RAF, but I am to old. Upper limit of 23 I am 28, but will have my ATPL soon so all good.

Unfortunatly its a coomoon theme amongst healthcare to be treated like crap. I have a couple of freinds who are drs and nurses with ibd and they get all the same. My final straw was when my nurse manager told me it was in my head. Ive been a Nurse for 7 years but lost my passion for it. Nearly dying i August changed my life.

What did you di during your time in the air force?

I still have a hard time understanding the poor treatment. I'm very sorry you were treated poorly and I'm grateful for your service as a nurse. That's a very difficult and important job.

In the USAF I was a Combat Controller. It's like Air Traffic Control, but, well, in combat. I didn't fly, yet I think it's one of the best jobs in the AF.

Excuse the poor spelling its my phone during GTA V lol.

Wow ATC would be my next dream job I think.

Yup I couldn't comprehend it either, but since leaving my disease has started to improve.