• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Theories behind the cause of IBD?

D

DannyB

Hey peeps,

Good to see you again! heres one for you all then. What do you think is the cause behind getting IBD? and why do you think that it is far more common in the Western world? I have no idea why I think some people get IBD and some don't but does diet play a part, something you've eaten perhaps?

Whats you thoughts?

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Great question Danny.... now just if we knew the answer!!!

As you said the western world's diet compared to the rest of the world is something that many look at for a proof that diet is cause of IBD. I believe it is called the SAD (Standard American Diet), which is said to be full of white flour and sugar (I am sure a search for this can bring up more on it, this is just from memory). I do not know the exact reasons that the medical community is not so positive on this idea, but it may be due to the differences that diet plays into each persons life and condition. Flairs are not triggered by the same foods for everyone, so this might be one of their reasons. This still does not explain how diet does not influence the start of the disease in some, but not others. Also, since family's typically eat the same food, the fact that not all families get the same disease may also be part of the reasoning why this is not true.

I have heard that a thought of how it is caused is some sort of bacteira gets inside the intestine (one that is not supposed to be there) and the immune system does what it is naturally supposed to do, which causes inflammation as the body literally is attacking itself. Which bacteria this is and how it happens or what causes this is still not explained (from what I have been told).

I have also heard their may be a genetic component to this, but it always seems that they say the answer to this must wait until the future when more research can be done.

K

Kate

i belive that crohns is a title used for a whole range of problems with the same symtoms. i belive that for some its heriditory others its diet some fults in the formation of the immune system as childern etc so i dont feel that one treatment will cure all crohns but it will cure some

T

Trixie329

Here is my lame answer.

I have no idea and in all honesty I have put no thought whatsoever into even picking something I agree with.

Pathetic isn't it? I think its because the theories are so varied that the whole thing is just too frustrating for me.

K

k-t

Well like you said in the western world its more prominent than the eastern word, so maybe its something to do with diet, the crops we used etc blah blah i'm just grasping at straws here!

L

little_sami

I think it also may have a lot to do with stress. Sosiety is very stressful these days, with more and more people owing money, high pressured jobs etc... I know any amount of stress makes my UC worse, so maybe it could cause it?

I'm thinking maybe the stress of becoming a mum at a young age may have been a factor?

D

DarrylP_Ajax

little_sami said:
I think it also may have a lot to do with stress. Sosiety is very stressful these days, with more and more people owing money, high pressured jobs etc... I know any amount of stress makes my UC worse, so maybe it could cause it?

I'm thinking maybe the stress of becoming a mum at a young age may have been a factor?
I agree on stress, i work myself like crazy, sleep very littel and bust my ass off at work and school, as much as i would like to admit i am invincible CD might just be a sign that i have driven the car of life a little too hard over the last couple years