• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

"There's nothing I can do for you"

I've suffered with the most horrible pain I've ever had for some time now. I wrote about it in my post "My ass hurts so bad...." After a colonoscopy a week and a half ago, my GI doctor said I was "in remission." I had asked him to please check for a fissure while doing the colonoscopy. He even called in a surgeon that I've seen before to see if he could see anything. Unfortunately he didn't see anything that would explain my excruciating pain. His suggestion was to follow up with an appointment to see the surgeon who was in the room and hopefully he could find it. So I did.

Today I saw him. He was late, but that didn't bother me. He walked into the room, over to the window and looked me straight in the eyes and said "There's nothing I can do for you." I sat in disbelief. Total disbelief. That's it? Nothing? No explanation for the pain? I begged him to please look at least. He begrudgingly looked and did a slight digital exam that sent me into orbit. Even seeing me writhing while leaning over that table didn't impress him at all. It's as if I've made it up. I told him that I was practically taking two Lortab 7.5 at a time. Then he said the coldest thing I think I've ever heard: "I wouldn't have even prescribed pain medicine for you. I don't know why Dr. ____ did." OMG. What on earth??? His point was that he couldn't see anything, therefore he wouldn't prescribe pain medication if there was nothing there.

I am just about ready to give in. I feel like there is no hope now. I looked forward to this appointment so much because I thought "finally, I'll get this fixed and won't need narcotics anymore." Now, nothing. No hope. Nobody to go to. I just am so depressed and feel totally hopeless at this point. Sorry to vent like this but I need help.

Jimmy Lee

Fire your doc... And find one that is a better fit for you. I've had bad doctors, or ones I didn't feel right with. And I fired them and found ones that are a better for me. Just because someone passed their boards doesn't mean they know all, some are very good at some things and lack in other things... Some don't like treating certain conditions, even though they are competent in other areas in their specialty.... So if you're not satisfied with your care, and management...find someone else.
Your biggest clue, was, "THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO FOR YOU"

Definitely do not give up. Find another doctor. Make it clear that you are not looking for pain meds, but for a reason and solution. Someone should be able to give you a better answer than that. I'm so sorry they were so rude and unhelpful. Hang in there.

Thank you Diselfitter and Caitlin for your advice and just for speaking. I won't give up, but when you don't' have an explanation for pain that is so bad it brings you to your knees, it does take its toll. Lord knows I've made it this far. lol. This morning no pain. And I've been to the bathroom already. This happened yesterday. It started out so good, with absolutely no pain. I had taken one Norco (Lortab, Vicoden) to stay ahead of it. Then about noon it started up. And it continued to get worse. By the time I arrived at the doctor's office at 2pm, it was in full swing. It makes no sense to me. And even though I went to medical school for a couple of years only to decide that's not what I wanted to do with my life, I don't know anything. I cannot diagnose myself. Maybe it's getting better??? If I make it through this day without that pain then I can have some hope. That's all I can ask for at this point. It's one MOMENT at a time.

Hi Jimmy, let me start by saying do not give up!!!!

I was under investigation for 11years before they found out whats wrong with me and still they havent 100% but a doctor turned to me one day and said
'We think it might be all in your head Miss Higgins'
Then I was diagnosed with Crohns disease... do not give up!
Find a another doctor and keeo going I know its a massive fall back and so much stress pain and upset but it will be worth it in the end I promise!!!

Wow KimboHiggs. You've been through it! Mine pales in comparison, but nevertheless, it's real. The "it's all in your head" thing is exactly how I felt. And then the comment that he wouldn't have even prescribed anything for pain based on his exam was the icing on the "ice doctor cometh." Cold. No bedside manner at all. I'll keep on looking. I wrote my GI doctor a letter and carried it up to his office. Hopefully I can "fill" in the gaps. I just don't get it. Obviously. lol. Thank you so much.

This is the actual letter I took to my GI doctor after my visit with the other worthless other doctor:

Dear Dr. Gi,

I just came from Dr. Asshole's office and am writing you because of the visit. I did as you suggested: I made an appointment with him due to the severe, unbearable pain I've been going through. I am at wit's end. I've been living on Norco, and even they are not touching the pain.

Dr. Asshole walked in the room, looked me in the eyes, and said "there's nothing I can do for you." I was dumbfounded. Still am. I asked him why I was there then and he said he didn't know. He said he was there in the procedure and saw nothing. I told him you had suggested following up with him. Then he said, "well I don't know why."

I begged him to try to help me and he begrudgingly said he'd take a look but wouldn't find anything. Wow! Don't think I've ever felt so helpless and frankly cast aside. He looked and declared there was nothing. Last resort: colo-rectal surgeon in Greenville. But he held out no hope for that either. I now feel totally hopeless and stupid. It's as if I've made this up and I guess I have nowhere to turn at this point. I wanted to relay this as I'm totally alone here. I don't know what to do. I cannot suffer like this much longer.

[I hope I hear from my GI doctor but I know how funny they can be about their colleagues.]

Last edited:
I truly understand your dilemma ..... Since I was a child I had to deal with my problem.... some sort of bandaid remedy for the problem when I got anything at all.... But mostly my problem was never truly discussed, and I left feeling like my problem is more between my ears, and maybe I was just crazy...
Things that helped over the years were diets that soothed my symptoms, clear liquids, or eating nothing at all until the symptoms resolved...
Hearing your problem, it does make me wonder if there is a lesion/or abscess close to the rectal opening, if it is a raw stinging pain.
If it is a little deeper... Maybe muscle type pain in the sphincter which can be pretty severe... And from what I understand an exam would show nothing... Being a voluntary muscle the one closest to the rectum it is difficult to determine tightnes, vs controlled contracture...I really can't say... I'm just throwing out ideas, and using process of elimination.... But still what do you do?...I would still find a GI doctor who is willing to listen, diet that allows for easy BM... But never give up..... It took nearly 40 some years to find the right Doctor for me....at times I wanted to die, other times I just went along for the ride...
The problem with narcotic pain meds is that it slows the guts down, and makes moving stool harder... It definitely is a double edge sword... Drinking plenty of liquids helps,
I really wish you the best, and hope you find relief....

Your advice is water on a dry well. I will follow your advice on the diet. I do find the while taking prednisone I am eating like there will be no tomorrow. I finally see the moon face and redistribution of fat. I think I have the buffalo hump too. I took 5mg this am and will finish out the week with this amount as I taper off completely.

You know, one thing I've noticed is that if I eat too much, the pressure on my rectum is great. This alone isn't good. I felt my best after completing the prep for the colonist. Lol. I was empty.

So many of you talk about losing weight. I've gained over 30 pounds, and it feels terrible. As for the pain, it hurts after a bm. It feels like a severe burning on the left distal anal opening. When that subsides and it REALLY gets cranked up, it feels like a knife stabbing me, with severe pressure and throbbing. It makes me jump when it is strong. Sitting hurts. I know you guys are sick of my whining and I'm going to get it together and get on with me life. Thanks again. Maybe clear liquids today?

Please please do not give up. Do not rest until you find a doctor who suits your needs. It is NOT in your head. Do not listen to what they say. If you are in pain, you are in pain. Only you know that. Sadly you and I did not study medicine, so we have to go to them. I really hope you find a good doctor soon and your pain goes away. Take care!

Please hang in there. I went through 2 doctors who told my parents when I was 17 that it was all in my head. By the time they found the Crohns my intestine was almost completely scared shut. After my second surgery I had a 104 temp and terrible pain. My surgeon said it would just take time and he didnt think there was anything wrong with me on 3 different visit. I became sicker and sicker until I was hospitalized with abdominal abscesses. The last flare I had my pain was slightly above the usual location and my GI CNP decided it was probably just shingles without a rash even though all the other sx where present. My point is that even very well educated medical professionals are very often mistaken and make you doubt yourself. You know your body. Keep speaking. Advocating for yourself can be very difficult especially when Docs are condescending but it is so important.

First thing to do is find another doctor and never go back to that one. I've been to so many over the years and there are definitely GREAT ones and HORRIBLE ones. they run the gambit. Some of the doctors I saw I literally got into it with because their attitudes were horrendous. the Doctors that I see now are SO much better and so much more understanding to my severe situation. Hang in there buddy!

I know its already been said but.. try another doctor! And another and another if you must! There must be a reason.

I don't know what your current doctor's problem is. When my (wonderful) doctor didn't know exactly what to do, he made the best guess in what direction to go and had an appointment with a fantastic Gastro for me before I even knew what was going on. I know if this direction had lead to nothing, he would have found a new direction.

Don't give up and good luck!

Lady Organic

Staff member
what about hemmorhoids? have these been discussed? im sorry for your pain, have you tried sitz baths? warm saline water 4 times a day. (i suggest you delete the names of your doctors in your previous posts, we never know who can read on the internet.) good luck. hemmies can be seen by rectoscopy easily with special manouever with the scope.

This forum is fantastic!!! Thank you all for the only support I've been able to find. My heart is truly overflowing when I read the caring, truly caring help offered. Even the fact that so many have read my posts mean so much. I know it's trite, but at this point, this forum has been my saving grace!

As for hemorrhoids, I've wondered that too. The last two days have been interesting. They have started out to be pain free, then diarrhea about four times, and then the pain really flares up. It is a stabbing pain. When it's not stabbing, I'm ok. But it's so bad that it actually makes me jump. It feels like my bottom is going to drop out. The worthless surgeon prescribed the nitroglycerin cream and I might try it. At this point what have I got to lose? I didn't hear from the GI doctor today, which is disheartening since I wrote that letter yesterday. Not really sure whether I'll follow up on it with him. I'll try the clear liquids suggested and see if that doesn't give my bowels a respite. You guys are fantastic...thank you so much.

Jimmy Lee

Sorry to hear that you've encountered one of those doctors...I've had a couple of doctors say "There's nothing I can do for you" to me too. The best thing you can do is to find another doctor asap...and, as has been said, another and another if necessary.

The nitroglycerin ointment should lower the pressure in the internal anal sphincter so it would be useful to know if you experience some benefit from that. There are some other options I believe for achieving that too if nitroglycerin doesn't suit you.

Has you GI done any scans recently? As the colonoscopy will only tell you about what is visible on the inside of your bowel and nothing about what else might be happening in your abdomen. I had a deep pelvic abscess for 4 1/2 years which caused widespread inflammation and led to my rectum being, in my surgeon's words, "welded to my uterus" and that caused some severe rectal pain. For most of that time my bloods were normal so only an MRI or CT would have given us the information needed.

Have you ever had a perforation or any surgery? As those would increase your chance of having adhesions which could cause pain.

Best of luck :ghug:

I had a CT scan and it showed nothing remarkable. It's been about a month ago. My GI doc said that it looked good, with no tumors present. I'm beginning to wonder if I even have Crohns. I know a biopsy from the first colonoscopy said I did. Plus the large colon was completely ulcerated. But something is causing me to have diarrhea every day.

When I was hospitalized back in February of this year, running a fever of 105 at one point, I read the description of Crohns. I had every single one. But not being able to find out why I hurt so much when the pain starts is making me wonder if it isn't all in my head. I have no history of make believe pain. But I know the mind can play tricks on you.

Lady Organic

Staff member
there is not much doubt you have crohn's with the colonoscopy results. crohns can go up and down (flare-remission) the diarrhea you are having right now is most probably due to your crohn's not to being fully under control.

I'm happy to report that the frequency of the pain has decreased, but not the intensity. Consequently I'm still taking the Lortab when I feel that I'm going to have a bowel movement. I know this sounds crazy but I try not to have a bowel movement. Lol. I dread the pain. I suppose that explains the frequency change. It also allows for more absorption in the large colon and less loose stools. I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV.

Hi Jimmy yeah this is it for me now I'm allergic to steroids I tested positive for TB the non contagious type so I cannot go on trail drugs there's nothing more they can do for me after this pain I find morphirne tablets or MST

I hear ya about dreading the horror of bathroom experiences. I too have horrifically painful BM's...and the only thing that keeps my stool semi-formed is liquid morphine, and I hate that too.

As the other person commented don't try and stop your body. I know it's horrible but so is a blockage. Perhaps see if you can go to a pain doc? He was the only one of the hundreds that I've seen that knew what he was talking about and started me on the way to a life.

this is why i only go to loma linda university medical center for my treatment because i trust they know what they are doing, ive never heard them say "theres nothing i can do for you" they always at least try to find a solution or they will refer you to someone who can help you if they dont have the answers you are looking for

fuzzy butterfly

hey jimmy lee,,whatever you do,dont give up trying to get help, around 40yrs ago my aunt was told that her symptoms were all in her head ,her doc did bugger all for her.. my grandparents then paid for a speicailist to see her ,he said that her entire intines were on fire (inflamed v.badly ) and she needed an emergency op to remove most of her intestines, and an ostomy done, she was 24yrs old with 2 small kids at this point.. so dont listen to any1 who says its in your head.. btw she lived untill last yr with the crohns, which btw wasn't what caused her demise, she developed many other issues over the years.. keep fighting to get the help u need jimmy, sending best wishe n good luck your way..