• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Thermography for IBD?

Is anyone aware of much research into thermography (or thermal imaging) for IBD? I've found this for example, evaluating thermography in UC:

Like ultrasound, it seems like another possible non-invasive monitoring tool that nobody is using.

my little penguin

Staff member
Looks like they are still researching it
Based on the article it seems to only tell if disease is active but not much more interns of location or severity
These would be needed to determine how useful the imaging is.

as far as ultrasound in crohns
It is used for isolated cases due to limitations as well
My kiddo is allergic to contrast dyes as well as gallulidium /barium used in MRE /cte for imaging

so while he has had ultrasounds read specifically by healthcare folks trained for crohns readings
It’s very limited on details and next to useless when completed without any contrast dye

standard of care for non invasive imaging is MRE or CTE due to details that can be obtained

E
Looks like they are still researching it
Based on the article it seems to only tell if disease is active but not much more interns of location or severity

as far as ultrasound in crohns
It is used for isolated cases due to limitations as well
My kiddo is allergic to contrast dyes as well as gallulidium /barium used in MRE /cte for imaging

so while he has had ultrasounds read specifically by healthcare folks trained for crohns readings
It’s very limited on details and next to useless when completed without any contrast dye

standard of care for non invasive imaging is MRE or CTE due to details that can be obtained
What about MRI without contrast? Don’t they do that for him?

my little penguin

Staff member
They need the gallulidium to stop the gut from moving during imaging (stuff they put in the iv during the mri )
The barium or other contrast is used to show if there is any thickening
So without either one the mri or ct doesn’t work very well for determining scaring or thickening (inflammation) in the gut

Isn't there value just in knowing that there's active disease? That could then be followed up by more tests.
Right, but these can't be used on a very regular basis.

my little penguin

Staff member
MRE can be used regularly
No radiation on that one
There are other markers for inflammation or active disease such as fecal caloprotectin (stool test ) and simple blood tests
These show active disease similar to the thermo imaging scan