• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Thermometer recommendation?

I hope I am not wearing out my welcome with too many questions. But do you have a thermometer that is reliable that you would recommend? I never had to worry much about accuracy, but now that we have the ...go to the ER if temp over....instructions, I guess it matters more. Right now I have a drug store brand oral/rectal that I use under my kids' arms. But I want something faster and realiable. (It seems reliable when my kids are still, but it's slow..and then my kids are not still!)

I asked the pharmacist this same question.
He said honestly the good old fashion glass thermometers are the best.
He said the forehead scan type are still involving and aren't as reliable.
I've heard their's a sticker kind that will tell the temp.
It kinds of remind me of the kind I use to put in my fish tank. Sounds cool.:)

We use the forehead scan. I can never read those glass ones :) There is the ear thermometers which are supposed to be fairly accurate as well. The thing I like about the forehead is I can take his temp without waking him up if I need to.

My son has too much earwax to use the ear ones! I like for him to take it under his tongue.But we've done under the arm too.I just bought a Vick's one that seems good. I like how it scans quickly. I'm a bit goofy with reliability when he has a fever. I have 2... the other is a ReliOn, and usually make him take it with both!! Probably one company makes them all under different names!!

Braun thermoscan (ear) for us as well. Going by the ear temp is a little higher, or lower, than taking the temp orally. Can't remember which it is, but there is a guide that comes with the thermometer.

my little penguin

Staff member
Basal thermometer are the most accurate at home ones since they tend to be within +/- 0.1 F
Vs regular thermometers are with +/-1-2F
The accuracy of any thermometer is listed on the back.
Basal thermometers are really really slow though.
We use regular if its high then go to the basal .
Reality is if your Ibd kid has a fever that tends to be "ok"
As long as you know the origin - ie strep throat etc...
Only if its of unknown origin ( kiddo not sick ) does our Gi get concerned.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I use an aural (ear) thermometer for convenience as it is quick and pretty much user friendly.

As mlp has said, basal thermometers are the most accurate but they certainly have their drawbacks:

• Lengthy time for temperature to register
  • The ability of the user to correctly keep the thermometer correctly placed
  • If using glass there is a risk of bite down with young children
  • If using glass you must ensure that you tell your other half that it is a thermometer and therefore rinsing it off under hot water is not recommended. :lol:
  • If it isn’t digital then you need to master the shake down of the mercury (or whatever is used)

Dusty. xxx