• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Thiamine and fatigue in inflammatory bowel diseases: an open-label pilot study.

Hey everyone,

I just read a pretty interesting study and thought I'd share. Also, has anyone read this before or know anything about it?

Thiamine and fatigue in inflammatory bowel diseases: an open-label pilot study.
Full paper PDF:
http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/pdf/10.1089/acm.2011.0840

CONCLUSIONS:

The absence of blood thiamine deficiency and the efficacy of high-dose thiamine in our patients suggest that fatigue is the manifestation of a thiamine deficiency, likely due to a dysfunction of the active transport of thiamine inside the cells, or due to structural enzymatic abnormalities. The administration of large quantities of thiamine increases the concentration in the blood to levels in which the passive transport restores the normal glucose metabolism in all cells and leads to a complete regression of fatigue.

I have been taking thiamine Vitamin B1 100mg for a while now, but I have never tried the high-doses they have used in the study. After a bit of reading, it seems that thiamine is pretty safe, so I am going to try a high-dose for a few weeks and see if I notice a change in fatigue.

wow excellent find, the gi bacteria produce b vitamins, and if these are out of whack mayebe this is why we would benefit from thiamine supplement. I already take alot of b vitamins and extra nicotinic acid(niacin) so maybe more thiamine is in my future!!

I commented this morning on feeling worn down, experiencing fatigue once again. Thought to quickly comment on my experience, synthetic vitamins make me overly tired and fatigued for some reason. I wish that wasn't the case for me, and I know others have better experience with synthetic vitamins but for me I feel terrible after taking most synthetic vitamins.

Basically, I only have a couple certainties with my condition, one being that I must avoid pumpkin seeds and another that synthetic vitamins knock me for a loop for a day. There are a couple more but those are the basics.

After my reading I've come to view synthetic vitamins as dead nutrients or maybe better said partial nutrients. In order for them to be useful for the body require other substances that can be found in the diet. Possibly probiotics/ gut bacteria could be another source too. Apparently the synthetic B vitamins by themselves do not cure the B vitamin deficiency conditions such as pellagra, or berri berri. Synthetic vitamin C doesn't cure scurvy.