• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Things to be thankful for

It is Thanksgiving morning-early, and I have been up cooking since 5. My son is now on a plane home from college-should arrive around 11 a.m. Since he remains in remission since his surgery last spring he has requested all his favorite Thanksgiving Day foods. What a pleasure that he will be able to eat and enjoy!!!!!
On this day of reflection I would like to thank everyone in the community for your support over the tough times and your never ending heartfelt concern. It helped get me through some of the scariest times in my life.
There are many ups and wons with this disease and they force us to appreciate every moment of life.
May you all have a wonderful holiday and embrace the spirit of thanks.
Sincerely,
Ramona

J

Jvstin

I'm thankful for people like crohnsmom, who has been up since 5 so her son gets a great meal. I miss my moms cooking so much. I'm eating at a hotel today for Thanksgiving.
you have a wonderful Thanksgiving day too crohnsmom and the same to everyone else.
safe eating!
(I wonder how many of us are gonna be moaning tonite)

Last edited:
ditto Jvstin.

And I'm also thankful that I was able to go back to work this week after my resection three weeks ago. My bowels still haven't completely adjusted but the Questran is helping some.

Kev

I'm thankfull my GI found a local pharmacy that will compound my LDN tabs for me. It's only 20 minutes away, and a 3 month supply will cost less than $90. It's only the 2nd location in Canada that can/will make the pills from powdered Naltrexone.

Its a little late... but I'm thankful I didn't pay for my Thanksgiving meals as horribly as I thought I would... and I even had 3 different celebrations to go to (moms side, dads side, bfs side) SHEESH!

I made myself ill at work by eating a combination of Sardines, Strawberries and some Chocolate later on. Strawberries do bother me a bit, and I think the unusual combination of foods caused some bad indigestion. I thought I was going to have to pass on the Thanksgiving dinner my wife was making. Luckily I recovered in a couple of hours and was able to eat as much as I wanted.

I am thankful because it was an excellent meal of Shrimp wrapped in Bacon, Turkey,
Stuffing, Cranberries and lots of Pumpkin Pie. All of that food did not phase me at all.

Both of our son's came over and another friend of one of my son's who had nowhere to go. It was great!

We also finished moving today and things are starting to get half way normal around here.

Never eat Sardines, Strawberries and Chocolate in a short period of time.

Trust me on that one.

Dan Bergman

D Bergy said:
Never eat Sardines, Strawberries and Chocolate in a short period of time.

Trust me on that one.

Dan Bergman
You can trust me there. I will not do that. :lol:

I had to work on Thanksgiving so didn't have to worry about eating too much this time.

Kev

sardines, strawberries and chocolate... Aren't those the ingredients in a "mal ass tov" cocktail? All you are missing is a wick made of braided toilet paper, correct??

I could have used that braid of toilet paper. It came through me like a rocket.

The problem was completely resolved once it left my system. I almost think maybe there was some e-coli on something. It was so sudden, and then gone.

Oh well, I am glad it was not a flare of some kind. I have really been doing well lately.

I am going the try crack the LDN blockade now that we are settled back in. Someone is stonewalling my medical records transfer, and I am starting to get a little ticked off.

I am thankful that I am able to get along without it, but I prefer a longer term treatment that will make my immune system work as it should. The Chlorine Dioxide bacteria killer is a good treatment for me, but LDN would be a better one, if it works.

Dan Bergman

Kev

Yeah, Dan, good luck with breaking the blockade. I start my LDN on Wednesday (I hope - there shouldn't be any more delays). I've been going downhill rapidly since I came off the pred six weeks ago, and I'm just barely hanging on now as it is. If there are any more delays, or if the LDN doesn't start doing its thing PDQ, then I'll be in real rough shape by Christmas. Anyway, here's hoping the LDN arrives AND does it's thing for me. I really don't know what I'll do if I fall into the 11% or so category that LDN doesn't seem to work on.

From what i have read, it takes about six weeks for it to start making any noticeable improvements. I am sure that is an average and individual results will vary.

I hope it works well for you. I think you have been through enough already and I have a good feeling about this treatment. There are not many that I like and LDN is the only pharmaceutical treatment that seems to have no real downside, unless it simply does not work.

Good Luck.

Dan Bergman

Kev

Yeah, I've heard a variety of stories about how fast LDN works. Everything from immediately to not at all. now, I personally suspect the immediate fixes are a form of placebo effect. But, you know what, if I got those benefits as strictly a placebo, then I don't want anyone telling me the truth. If I have to tuff it out for 6 weeks, I'd settle for that. I just don't want to go 12 - 14 weeks with no improvements b4 someone tells me that it isn't going to work for me.

I am grateful that I was able to spend Thanksgiving with my girlfriend's family as I didn't have time to fly up to my family in Chicago. I, along with many others on this forum, also spent the night in a fair amount of pain.