• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Thinking about filing for disability - questions

So I'm thinking about filing for disability. I'm so frustrated with not being able to work much that I think this might have to be what I have to do, even though I'd much rather stay working.
Here's a little bit about what I've been going through lately (I'll try to keep it short):
I got diagnosed with Crohn's in December 2013. Since then I've had 4 hospital stays (a total of about 15 days). Besides the hospital stays I've missed numerous days of work because of the Crohn's and also my Bipolar Disorder. I am a nurse and work full time (although I haven't worked a 40 hour week for months now). I get insurance through my job, but it stinks!!! Right now I'm not on any medication for the Crohn's except Prednisone (been on it since December) because insurance won't pay for anything, or because it doesn't cover medications good enough that I can't afford to pay $350 or more a month for one medication. Thanks to the Prednisone I have also now been diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2 and Hypertension. Also, because I'm not absorbing things well, my bipolar medication is not working either and I'm having problems with it. My psychiatrist wants to put me on injections for my bipolar, but again, I can't afford them, even with my insurance. So right now I'm a mess. I am in horrible pain most of the time, having D daily, fevers daily, and now horrible mood swings and depression because of not having any medication that works for my bipolar. I'm about at the end of my rope. I have 4 children at home and I can't just not have an income. I have thought about filing for disability and I've had many people tell me they think I should. Not only will it help with not being able to work, but also it will help with my medications.
The problem is, I don't know where to start with all of that. I have so many questions. First, can I file if I'm working? From what I've read on the internet I can't be working, or making over a certain amount to get the disability. Well, I'm getting ready to file for FMLA through my work. So if I need to be off work I'm wondering if I can be off through my FMLA and then file for disability. I'm only 30 and I can't imagine not working. But right now it's so hard to get to work, and I'm getting myself more and more in trouble at work for missing so much.
Anyone that has any information on how I can do this I would really like to hear from you!

afidz

Super Moderator
I am in the process of applying for disability, I recommend anyone who has a hard time working do so.
I have a few tips from my personal experience.
1. Hire a lawyer before you even apply. They only get paid if you win, and they get the same amount of money whether you hire them now or after you are denied the first time (almost everyone gets denied the first time) so you mind as well get the legal help now if its not going to cost any different.
2. Hire a small, local law firm. I went with Binder and Binder, and I regret it. They have not been able to give my case the proper attention it deserves and its hard to get a hold of anyone when I need to.
3. Try not to stress out over it. The paper work and the questionaires always stress me out, more than I thought a piece of paper could. Its ok to take your time on it all.
4. When you do fill out the questionnaires, think of the worse day you have ever felt and then answer.
I am going to tag Jennifer as well, she is the one that has given me the most help in this awful process

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
To add to what Afidz said, apply right away. The whole process of applying, waiting for a decisions and filing appeals etc if you're denied (always appeal) takes a long time (could take a few months to years to be accepted) so apply right away. Apply for both SSI and SSDI as it is possible to get both. Once you are considered disabled then you automatically qualify for Medicaid which is free health care. You'll get the meds you need free of charge. Also keep in mind that once you're feeling better you can always go back to work. Social Security has programs to help you get back into the work force, even help with extra schooling if you need or wanted it. They will continue payments but gradually lower them as you get back into work. Basically you need help now and should focus on that more than anything else so if disability can make that happen then go for it right away. Definitely get a good lawyer to help with your case because it's worth it and will make the process go by so much faster because Social Security hates working with lawyers. Don't get discouraged if you're denied. Keep appealing and make sure your doctors are on board as well.

Start the process now: http://www.ssa.gov/disability/ Good luck! :)

You might also want to join this support group we have on the forum: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=51690