• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

This is a MUST see video! Possible cause of crohn's???

GMO's are gross and I am disappointed that prop 37 didn't pass in California. I don't think it caused my Crohn's but it's definitely something I avoid.

GMO's are gross and I am disappointed that prop 37 didn't pass in California. I don't think it caused my Crohn's but it's definitely something I avoid.
You should watch the video, your opinion might change. Or not... There is a LOT of scientists (even ones that work for FDA) in the vid that are convinced autoimmune diseases specifically of the gut are formed through mutations from taking GMO which our body does not recognize and attacks, causing inflammation. The pesticide used in the gmo we eat is supposed to kill bugs by making their stomachs burst open. Not saying it is the cause, but the video is definitely worth watching

Most of the animals in the vid with gastrointestinal problems, got better after switching to a none GMO diet. That was seen repetitively through various farmers and their cattle/pigs/mice

Also its hard to ignore the graph of when they started using Gmos a lot more during the mid 1990's. IBD skyrocketed coincidently during that time and never looked back.

How would this explain the incidence of IBD in the UK then where no commercial GM crops are grown?
Dunno, as I am only now looking into this. However me not being able to explain what's happening in the uk doesn't stop me from thinking there might possiblely be a link here. I'm sure there are a million different possibilities. Are you absolutely 100% sure that you have never eaten GMO misty? It's in the majority of corn, so if you have had a packet of crisps or bowel or cereal imported from the states then you most likely injested it and also have the unknown unidentified bacteria that can be past onto generation as mentioned in the video.

Last edited:
How would this explain the incidence of IBD in the UK then where no commercial GM crops are grown?
But I'm not here to explain or defend it. Just trying to help you think about other possibilities. Just something I found interesting and thought I would share

Only reason why I was explaining above to him is because the video is an hour+ long. So it's clear neither of you have watched it. It's really good! :)

Here is another reason to explain why this effects you too Misty...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rican-GM-corn-study-revealed-cancer-risk.html

In this article it says that although store selves in the uk are clear of GMO, their meat is certainly not GMO free at all. It is fed to their farm animals - hens, pigs, and dairy cows. The only way not to eat GMO in your meat is to find a farmer who fed his animals the more expensive, rare non GMO feed

I don't doubt it could cause Crohn's for some people. Just saying that it probably didn't cause mine. I started having symptoms of Crohn's before GMO's were introduced to our food supply.

Lol you don't have to call me Misty when you don't know my name. But please don't quote from the daily mail! Being a scientist, I take what they say with a pinch of salt. I looked at some 'offical' websites for my quick reserch. Animals here are fed with soya GM foods as so; http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/quality/gm/

Although having animals that are fed GM food doesn't in itself mean we are consuming gmo material : http://www.food.gov.uk/policy-advice/gm/gmanimal#.UKFGK_YgG0c

I doubt we import much corn from the states either as most food imports tend to come through the EU. I'm not saying that GM food don't have an impact, but I think there are probably a lot more significant causes of Crohn's. I also got Crohn's before GM foods were being produced.

I dunno. I wouldn't consume an animal that consumed GMO's. I know it is a cliche but, "you are what you eat" ;)

I agree ctrl z - we are what we eat. Here is a link that talks about a study that proved that if we eat GM food while pregnant, it is passed down to our newborns.

http://www.rodale.com/genetically-modified-food-0

Quote: "According to new research from Canadian scientists, the pesticides used on genetically modified (GM) crops and, in some cases, the genes used to create GM crops are able to survive in our digestive tracts, move into our bloodstreams, and, in the case of pregnant women, show up into their developing infants. "

Not to mention the fact, that according to this video, they are putting GM in our infant formula too!

Misty - both the "official" links you posted are government websites - Department of Environmental, Food and Rural Affairs, and The Foods Standards Agency. I do not trust our FDA over here. However, in your link it states:

No GM crops are being grown commercially in the UK, but imported GM commodities, especially soya, are being used mainly for animal feed, and to a lesser extent in some food products. End of quote.

Does this mean that your livestock are being fed GM feed? If so, it would be ingested by the people?

Although you might have been diagnosed prior to genetically modified foods were produced decades ago, our food supply has been sprayed with toxic pesticides well before we were all born. Here is a quote from the very reputable encylopedia website:

"The first legislation providing federal authority for regulating pesticides was enacted in 1910;[66] however, decades later during the 1940s manufacturers began to produce large amounts of synthetic pesticides and their use became widespread.[52] Some sources consider the 1940s and 1950s to have been the start of the "pesticide era."[67] Although the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency was established in 1970 and amendments to the pesticide law in 1972,[68] pesticide use has increased 50-fold since 1950 and 2.3 million tonnes (2.5 million short tons) of industrial pesticides are now used each year.[64] Seventy-five percent of all pesticides in the world are used in developed countries, but use in developing countries is increasing.[18]

Although you might have been diagnosed prior to genetically modified foods were produced decades ago, our food supply has been sprayed with toxic pesticides well before we were all born. Here is a quote from the very reputable encylopedia website:

"The first legislation providing federal authority for regulating pesticides was enacted in 1910;[66] however, decades later during the 1940s manufacturers began to produce large amounts of synthetic pesticides and their use became widespread.[52] Some sources consider the 1940s and 1950s to have been the start of the "pesticide era."[67] Although the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency was established in 1970 and amendments to the pesticide law in 1972,[68] pesticide use has increased 50-fold since 1950 and 2.3 million tonnes (2.5 million short tons) of industrial pesticides are now used each year.[64] Seventy-five percent of all pesticides in the world are used in developed countries, but use in developing countries is increasing.[18]

Good point. Even though I had symptoms prior to GMO's being introduced into our food supply, I seriously doubt I grew up eating pesticide-free foods.

You were only diagnosed in 2010 though right? You sure you had crohns in 1994 without confirming through tissue sample via colonoscopy?

Also uk gov is amongst the people in the video who were discredited. So quoting them is pointless in this thread. I wish some of you would watch the video instead of just posting. This thread was meant for those to watch and discuss, not for me to defend it by quoting points that are all in this video. Kinda wish I didn't post this now... People don't wanna watch they just want to argue why I'm wrong instead lol

Yes. All throughout high school I had stomach problems. I'm very sure. I thought I was crazy and everyone else made me feel like I was imagining things too. So, yes. I know how I felt even back then. The main reason it never got worse is probably because I started using cannabis and discovered that it made my stomach problems go away.

Interesting. All these years you been on just cannabis that's all? Do you think it really does lower inflammation? I know it works for nausea, appetite and slowing gut motility. I've always wondered though if it actually heals you

I was using cannabis from about 17 to 25. At 25 I stopped the cannabis and I had severe diarrhea for over a year. At some point after that I developed a perianal fistula, had it fixed via surgery, then finally diagnosed a year after that surgery. When I got my diagnosis I started using cannabis again along with Pentasa.

That is not the exact timeline of events but it pretty much sums up my Crohn's journey prior to diagnosis.

Taking a break from the cannabis now and just doing what I have in the link in my sig.

There are various studies on pubmed that demonstrate cannabis has powerful anti-inflammatory/anti-tumor properties.

my little penguin

Staff member
I really think there are many different causes for many different adults .
Most of which do not explain my child dx at age 7 with Gi distress from birth.
Plus cause does not equal cure .
Cure is all I really care about at this point.

Thanks a lot for this! Very scary!
This really makes you think what we are eating... Also here in Europe.
Now I also understand why my son's homeopathic doctor has warned us about soy and corn.

You should watch the video, your opinion might change. Or not... There is a LOT of scientists (even ones that work for FDA) in the vid that are convinced autoimmune diseases specifically of the gut are formed through mutations from taking GMO which our body does not recognize and attacks, causing inflammation. The pesticide used in the gmo we eat is supposed to kill bugs by making their stomachs burst open. Not saying it is the cause, but the video is definitely worth watching
Well, we grow our own veggies and our insecticide of choice is Ivory liquid (yes, dishwashing detergent). Just a couple tablespoons in a couple gallons of water is all it takes, and it basically strips insects of their protective coating and melts their little bodies, also pretty gross. I'm not sure which is worse, but Ivory liquid's a lot cheaper and keeps our veggies squeaky clean too! (Ok, so that last part was a joke.)

Doesn't work on all bugs, only those with "soft" bodies, not those with especially hard shells. There's no residual effect, you have to spray the insects directly, so we have to spray almost every week. We use a pump type garden sprayer, and actually, spray our entire yard with it. Adding a few drops of citrus and/or cedar oils also keeps Mosquitos, spiders, and certain other types insects away too.

I would have liked to watch the video, but unfortunately, it's no longer available on YouTube.

We buy our meat from an free range farm that raises poultry and livestock on organic grasses and grains, and stopped eating anything containing high fructose corn syrup or soy some time ago, well, except on sushi, of course!

The taste difference alone between fresh organic grass fed poultry and the frozen supermarket variety is gigantic. Fresh organic is just so much juicer, tastier, that it doesn't really need any additional seasoning, flavoring or basting.

Our veggies are tastier too, and not just tastier than those at the supermarkets, but they're tastier than veggies from most farmer's markets too. We get our fertilizer from a BYOB (bring your own bucket) horse farm that gives us all the fertilizer we can shovel, for free! Of course we return the favor by bringing them veggies from our garden.

We only grow "heirloom" veggies, which are not genetically modified, because the seeds from genetically modified veggies will not germinate, which is quite intentional, forcing farmers to rebuy seeds every year. With heirloom veggies, we can dry out the seeds from our veggies, for use in the next year's planting.

We even buy heritage turkeys now, which have very small breasts. Those big breasted turkeys you buy in supermarkets can't fly, and most even require artificial insemination to produce eggs. Those gigantic (genetically modified) breasts prevent them from getting close enough to each other to, umm, mate.

So if the turkey you eat has lots of breast meat, it's been genetically modified, even if it was raised organically, regardless of where you live. With the exception of heirloom, almost all veggies you buy have been genetically modified as well. Even most of the "organically grown" veggies at "Whole Foods" and farmer's markets because the seed most often used has been genetically altered.

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Institute for Responsible Technology.
That's a drag.

didnt watch the video, but its highly debatable that gm crops cause these diseases, one simple observation that crohns/U.C. have existed before the technology that enables us to read genetic information in order to then modify plant genetics in such a way, pretty much smashes that theory to pieces. gm crops are definitly not what causes these diseases.

i think it was somewhere in the mid 1980s that our ability to read genetic information became possible, and maybe another 10 years where we began to modify those genetic code. ibd has been reported in the mid to late 1800's, although it hadn't become prevalent until 1920's. my dates may not be entirely accurate, but they are within in the ball park, give or take five or ten years or so.

but i will have to say that i am severely sensitive to different brands of wheat, i make my own wheat products from scratch and had recently switched brands for two weeks little had i known was consuming a brand that i could tolerate, on the new brand which was king arthur whole wheat flour, i was bloating and some diarhea came back, when i switched back to my regular gold medal whole wheat flour everything went back to normal, i also tried one other brand which wasnt as bad as king arthur but did cause bloating but no increase in diarhea. im trying to explain why i could have such dramatic changes from changing brands of wheat, i have been meaning to contact the manufacturers to get more information about the details of their products, as GMO might be an explanation.

:ycool:
didnt watch the video, but its highly debatable that gm crops cause these diseases, one simple observation that crohns/U.C. have existed before the technology that enables us to read genetic information in order to then modify plant genetics in such a way, pretty much smashes that theory to pieces. gm crops are definitly not what causes these diseases
I don't think anyone knows for sure, but even today, most people who develop cancer, well that usually happens in their late 50s or 60s.

Years ago, the average life span was somewhere around 35. Most people just didn't live long enough to develop cancer!

Same with wheat sensitivities. There's probably been plenty of people who had digestive problems due to wheat sensitivities throughout history--they just didn't live long enough to isolate the specific problem. Most who suffered allergies didn't even survive childhood.

We bake our own bread, using this incredible recipe for the crust we got from this bizarre eclectic French restaurant--that we patronize JUST for their bread alone. It's really just a mixture of honey, raw sugar, pepper, and a touch of sea salt.

For the bread flour itself though, we make a mixture. Starting with stone ground whole wheat flour, along with spelt, rice, rye, barley, oat, chickpea, and whatever else we happen to find, and just mix it all together.

By the time we're done mixing it up, there's probably not all that much wheat in there anyway. Of course, instead of yeast, we use a kefir starter blend.

Our resulting bread is like heaven, far better than any mass produced bread. Of course, it's best right out of the oven, and doubt it could be replicated by any mass production mechanisms, which would change the taste and "awe" factor completely.

All things in moderation, including and especially moderation. So experiment and find what works best for you.

Namaste