• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

This is my story and how I finally overcame the pains of Crohns Disease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys My name is Dean. I actually joined this forum to tell u guys how I finally found the perfect diet for crohns disease after many many years of searching. Ive read so many books over the years and heard so much conflicting information. First off I was diagnosed with Crohns Disease when i was 21 years old in 2004. the first few months were the absolute worst. I lost so much weight I went from 160 pounds all the way to a low of 117 pounds in Dec 2004. When I first got it I was in constant pain and couldnt keep food down at all but it actually improved over the years I just found what foods bother my stomach and avoided them. but I still would get flairups every once in a while. in 2012 I had the worst flairup in years. finally in May 2020 of this year I found a diet that has completely changed my life after 16 years of pain. I just happened to run across a book on Amazon Called Performance without Pain. it talked about this man named Weston A price who went around the world trying to find the perfect diet for optimal human health. I found out after doing more research he was referring to the Keto Diet. So I watched a documentary on Amazon Prime about the Keto Diet called "FAT". after doing more research I discoved that the "Carnivore Diet" was best fit for people with Crohns Disease because it eliminates everything that would bother your stomach like spices, veggies, and many other things. The idea of the Carnivore diet was to eliminate everything but Meat and Fish. So I decided to try it for 30 days with amazing success. After the 30 days was up I realized I havent felt this good in years so I decided to continue this way of eating and even talked to my doctor about getting another Colonoscopy which will happen next year after the pandemic is over. If you guys are interested in checking out the Carnivore diet check out Dr. Paul Saladino and Shawn Baker and Ken Berry on youtube they are huge advocates for it. they also recommend to eat the whole animal from head to tail because you will get all the nutrients u need. I definetly recommend you guys give it a try for 30 days to see how u feel. But Ive seen nothing but success stories on the facebook groups people have even reversed diabetes and many other health ailments.

It is great that you found something that you believe works for you, but this definitely is not the way to go nor the diet for most people to be on, with or without crohn's.

It is great that you found something that you believe works for you, but this definitely is not the way to go nor the diet for most people to be on, with or without crohn's.
u cant knock it until u try it. just try it for 30 days what do u got to loose?

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
As was already mentioned, it is good to find something you believe in, and that has so far worked for you - but Crohn's (and UC) are such individual diseases that there is NO one-size-fits-all magical treatment.

As was already mentioned, it is good to find something you believe in, and that has so far worked for you - but Crohn's (and UC) are such individual diseases that there is NO one-size-fits-all magical treatment.
this is why the diet works so well for people with crohns. its basically an elimination diet. u start with meat, salt and water, and add things back in that u can tolerate. basically like experimenting. its just an off-shoot of the Keto Diet. there is certain veggies that bother my stomach thats why I decided to jump into carnivore instead of doing Keto.

my little penguin

Staff member
Diet does not work for many and definitely not all with crohns
Parents groups know this
Every last one of them has tried every last diet out there because no parent wants their children on any crohns meds ever

Hi All, just wanted to jump in and give my two cents worth on the Carnivore diet from my experience.

First off, I strongly agree with everyone above who said that diet is totally individual and affects people with Chron's differently, I agree that there is no one size fits all diet for Chron's patients (I know I've tried a lot of them) and the general consensus is that Chron's can not be treated by diet alone. Having said that, I think that sharing our experiences has value and might help someone so here it goes!

After suffering from Chron's for over 25 years and trying EVERY single medicine on the market (and a bunch of alternative therapies as well) and many different diets, I recently went Carnivore after a strict adherence to the GAPS diet failed me and led me to another surgery.

Since I went carnivore (after surgery) I finally put on weight for the first time in 10 years through diet alone and no help from a PIC or PEG. This was a really huge deal, as I had been a walking skeleton for so long and so underweight that I hadn't menstruated in YEARS and I could really feel the effect of malnutrition on my cognitive ability. I must have gained 40lb within a few months really easily which was a huge relief. I've had much more energy and feel less frail. It's not perfect and I still have active inflammation that I'm treating with Stellara, but I'm in a much better place than I had been with NO PAIN or other symptoms besides the runs.

Full Disclosure- Being on an all meat diet means having the runs for even healthy people, so for me it's still an issue and even though I'm in the bathroom fewer times a day when I have to go it's pretty immediate and always vey watery (sorry if this is too much information but stuff that I personally wanted to know about other peoples experiences going Carnivore with Chron's)

@deanhp I'm really glad this has helped you, but it won't necessarily help everyone with Chron's or other auto immune diseases, I'm a big fan of Saladino as well, if anyone's interested he has a great interview with Joe Rogan on the JRE podcast. He's very technical and a bit hard to follow sometimes, but he really gives you the science of how the diet works.

Also @deanhp if you want another great source for nose to tail carnivore check out Dr. Zsófia Clemens at Paleomedicina.

Good health to you all and may we all find a diet that contributes to our optimal health!!!

u cant knock it until u try it. just try it for 30 days what do u got to loose?
I truly understand and appreciate your desire to help, but this is not the way to do it and just antagonizes people who are probably in an already stressful situation.

red meat increases inflammation it contains neu5gc and heme iron, both are bad for inflammation. white meat fish and some seafood are heathier meats which are better at reducing inflammation, please google this info with ncbi as a search term.

Lady Organic

Staff member
It is great that you are doing much better. However, an all carnivore diet is never a diet I would believe to be healthy for a human being in the long term. These are extreme diets that have never been studied and the long term effects of these on global health are unknown. Testimonies of a few individuals who are not doctors or medical researchers are not enough to pretend these diets are safe for anyone.
Just for cardiovascular events prevention, it is well-known that red meat is a high saturated fat product that must be avoided. Us IBD sufferers at are more risk for blood clots and cardiovascular events and even more so are diabetes sufferers as you mention them.
''Eating foods that contain saturated fats raises the level of cholesterol in your blood. High levels of LDL cholesterol in your blood increase your risk of heart disease and stroke.''
I'd encourage you to closely monitor those markers in your blood test routines in the meantime of your scope and until you continue on this diet, to make sure you are keeping healthy.

@wildbill_52280

1. Claims about "red meat" are usually based on people who eat a lot of processed meats on top of a standard American diet. I'm eating organic grass fed and finished pastured meat, not factory farmed which is full of antibiotics and growth hormones.

2. It doesn't sound like you are distinguishing between inflammation (which is important and necessary in a healthy body) and excessive inflammation.

3. Have you read scientific articles that verify your claim regarding neu5gc and heme iron? they sound like two unrelated issues so I don't understand if you are trying to make an inference to them being related (?) but in any case from a cursory reading on studies of neu5gc studies in mice and humans I'm not finding evidence that they create excessive inflammation.

4. Fish and seafood are a tricky issue, I will assume that you mean wild caught for both, but even then there are serious issues of mercury and other heavy metals and toxins found in both fish and seafood. *Most* fish you will find in an average store are farmed which is really not very healthy.

@wildbill_52280

1. Claims about "red meat" are usually based on people who eat a lot of processed meats on top of a standard American diet. I'm eating organic grass fed and finished pastured meat, not factory farmed which is full of antibiotics and growth hormones.

2. It doesn't sound like you are distinguishing between inflammation (which is important and necessary in a healthy body) and excessive inflammation.

3. Have you read scientific articles that verify your claim regarding neu5gc and heme iron? they sound like two unrelated issues so I don't understand if you are trying to make an inference to them being related (?) but in any case from a cursory reading on studies of neu5gc studies in mice and humans I'm not finding evidence that they create excessive inflammation.

4. Fish and seafood are a tricky issue, I will assume that you mean wild caught for both, but even then there are serious issues of mercury and other heavy metals and toxins found in both fish and seafood. *Most* fish you will find in an average store are farmed which is really not very healthy.
These are good questions!, yet I don't have much time to answer in full, which is why I encourage you to look further into it for yourself.

I thinks its still new research but it's generally clear that this is true about neu5gc and heme iron having negative effect on human health. I do recall red meat itself was classified as a mild carcinogen by the world health organization, just as many processed meats also were, but don't quote me, please look into it.

These are good questions!, yet I don't have much time to answer in full, which is why I encourage you to look further into it for yourself.

I thinks its still new research but it's generally clear that this is true about neu5gc and heme iron having negative effect on human health. I do recall red meat itself was classified as a mild carcinogen by the world health organization, just as many processed meats also were, but don't quote me, please look into it.
Carcinogens are only if you overcook the meat. like burning it. thats why its always recommended to cook the meat as little as possible. in fact if u have grassfed organic u can straight it eat raw and u will be fine. theres plenty of carnivores who do this and feel much better than cooked meat. but I cant eat uncooked meat it makes me queasy lol. I would definelty watch some videos by Dr Saladino like Navsu said because he is very knowledgable and has all the scientific facts mentioned in his video. he even explains in 1 video what vitamins each part of the animal has that are beneficial to your health. and I know there isnt a lot of studies that have been done on this diet but all u have to do is look at the Anderson Family who have been Carnivore for 25+ years and look incredible. they dont like the spotlight so there isnt much information about them but its there if u look it up online.

Interesting facts about carnivore diet. I wouldn't go on this diet. I also look pretty good and am 58 and fit and don't eat meat at all. I think having a good lifestyle is the key - exercise, a well-rounded diet - supplements - and dealing with stress by positive means in the route to take. :)

Interesting facts about carnivore diet. I wouldn't go on this diet. I also look pretty good and am 58 and fit and don't eat meat at all. I think having a good lifestyle is the key - exercise, a well-rounded diet - supplements - and dealing with stress by positive means in the route to take. :)
dont believe everything u read online. Big Pharma needs its money somehow by keeping people sick. the FOod Pyramid is the biggest scam of all time!!! lol.

This article seemed unbiased to me. It wasn't supporting big pharma in any way. I guess the same would go for you not to believe everything you read. ;)
I didnt get the information online I read about it in a book I purchased on amazon lol. and plenty of people have seen the results first hand. u should see how many people have gotten their bloodwork back and its way better than before!! I havent done mine yet but I will once Im on the diet for a year.

You are obviously very passionate about this diet. I don't eat meat at all so this I disagree with it. Good luck, but as emphasized by a few posters already, this may be working for you, but in no means works for most. There was aother Crhon's member on this forum who also claimed that this was the best diet for him/her and a few months later, found it was causing a lot of problems. Again, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.