• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

This is my story!

I am 29 yrs old I was diagnosed in June 2005.I never had any traditional symptoms at first I developed a fistula. That led to a colonoscopy and the diagnosis. My mother, sister, and one of my cousins all have Crohns. I have been on remicade since 2005,I am not completely convinced that it works since I have developed 3 new fistulas while being on it. I just had an Mri on friday to re-evaluate my fistula situation, if I have a new one which I am pretty sure I do then my GI is going to switch me to Humira. I work part time in the medical field and I also attend university part time working on completing a BSC in biology/psychology. I also live with my sister who is not well she is on disability and is home all day long and I end up doing most of the housework/errands, but she is capable of doing more I just think that she is used to me doing it. If I dont do the housework/errands it would never get done. With that said I have a fairly high stress level, which doesnt help my crohns. Lately my crohns has been worse then usual. All my stress factors contribute to this I think. I joined this forum so I could not only share my story but also give support and receive support from others!!

Jessi

Hello AshSugar and :welcome: to the forum.

I'm so sorry that Remicade isn't working for you. Everyone is different, because it definitely has been working for me. Humira may be a good choice. I hope that you and your GI can get your fistulas under control soon.

I can imagine how frustrating it is to have your sister expecting you to wait on her. Maybe the two of you need to sit down and have a nice friendly talk about it. :hug:

That's great that you're studying biology and psychology in school. They are fabulous subjects that will both help you to understand your own disease and the medications that you take. :)

Once again, welcome, and I hope you feel well soon.

Angrybird

Hi Ashsugar and welcome to the forum :bigwave: It is a shame the Remi has stopped being effective, Humira I suppose is like a 'sister' drug that uses human protein instead of mouse so hopefully this will sort things out. I would agree about having a chat with your sister, it may be she is now in a rut and needs to actually start trying to do things for herself in order to feel a bit better. You do have your own illness to deal with as well as work/uni so why should you be expected to do everything at home as well? I do hope things improve in this area for you, when will you see the doc for the MRI results?

I know I need to have a chat with my sister but she is a very defensive person and I am not into conflict.. but I will start coming up with strategies to get her to do more. I see my Gi on Jan 31st to get my MRI results unless they call me earlier. I love my classes and my university has been pretty good accommodating me when I am not feeling well.

Angrybird

I know what you mean, my sister is older and she is quick to take things the wrong way. I sometimes really worry that I am going to say the wrong thing to her and she will cop a strop. I am glad your uni is being supportive though. Let us know how you get on with the appt.