• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

This is the best weight loss plan ever!!

OK, so I'm being a bit facetious. ;)

But having been about 80 pounds overweight for the last several years (less in other years, but always overweight), I must confess, I'm liking this unconscious weight loss thing.
I mean, I don't hurt. I don't have d, really. I'm eating basically the same thing I've eaten for a couple of years (though no more high-carb cheat days. :( ) and I'm losing about 4-5 pounds a week.

Obviously this indicates a nutritional deficiency, right? Or does the lack of d mean otherwise?

What are some thoughts on this?

Hiya itsMeFred!
I'm liking your positive outlook on things! Hey, look on the positive today and worry about the negative....some other day! LOL
Ok, so as far as I know the weight loss is a definite sign of deficiency. If we eat the usual foods and our bodies loose weight where's it all going , right? Into the great abyss of the crohns black hole. Haha! Our bodies aren't processing all the nutrients, calories, etc, ergo (i've always wanted to use that word) weight loss. D or no D, if your losing weight, there's an issue.
The down side, hopefully you've talked to a Doc about all this. Hopefully you realize when you get down to, say, 110 pounds you hit the panic button and bail out of the mind set of i can eat anything I want- cool! (lol- although it can be pretty cool at times). I like to base how i'm doing on how I'm feeling. Thats physically and mentally. I'm upbeat so that's half the battle, physically though is a tougher nut to crack. I've been on all the meds, 5 trials, 9 surgeries, my low weight has been 82 pounds (yikes!) and my everyday weight is 105. Its all in your perspective! I live for today, take some awesome nutrient supplements and voila! I feel usually pretty good everyday. Wasn't always the case but has been about the last 8 months.
Hey, good luck, may the force be with you, and please take care of yourself!

Yeah. Your weight loss, if not caused by D, is likely from plain old malabsorption (what a funny looking word). At least, that's my experience. I never had too much weight, and started losing quick. Things got dangerous.

I'd get some blood tests, make sure nothing is too low. If you're missing something, get it in a supplement. Either way, a multivitamin is probably a good idea.

Just watch that you don't get too low. At that point it gets unpleasant.

I lost weight so fast for me it was dangerous as well, but I had a friend at work whose daughter in law was overweight and was totally stoked that she was losing weight. It wasn't until she lost too much and had a ton of pain that she got checked out.

Don't get me wrong...eating everything under the sun once I could eat again was the most awesome thing ever!

Get it checked out. You don't want to have nutritional deficiencies they can lead to bad stuff like hair falling out, skin problems, not to mention it is extremely bad for your body. Since our bodies are constantly fighting Crohn's it is always better that we take care of it so it can fight a good fight.

So how is it regular people lose weight on a low-carb diet? It's not malabsorption...
For that matter, don't Crohn's patients deliberately work to lose weight sometimes? (though admittedly, 4-5 pounds a week tends to be Medifast type programs, not just regular diet/exercise)

I asked my doc about it at my appointment today.
He said he's not worried yet, particularly in light of the fact that there's no pain, no d and will be weaning me off the pred. over the course of this next week since my inflammation seems down. He basically said you look good, you feel good. Go with it.
I'm supposed to see him again in 2-3 weeks for my scope, so we'll see what's going on by then.

So, for now, I guess I'll just coast along and enjoy it. I have a LONG way to go before I'm underweight. :rolleyes:

have something to share on you guys !

this is fantastic i was also starting my healthy diet nowadays and i want to loss my fats. I am practicing a good juicer it is a part of my diet and it is really.but i also want to ask what else could be the best ways to lose more weights.

So how is it regular people lose weight on a low-carb diet? It's not malabsorption...
For that matter, don't Crohn's patients deliberately work to lose weight sometimes?

I think the idea of a low carb diet is to keep away sugars. Sugar = Carb = Calories. And possibily starches too. Your body likes to use sugar, which prevents it from using fat. And if I remember correctly, starches get transformed into fats in the body. I'm assuming the whole point is to maximize how much your body "burns" (this is the greatest biology joke ever) fat for cals...

I'm gonna explain the joke now. So, take a piece of wood, and burn it. The chemical equation for this is C(something)H(something) + O2 ----> H2O + CO2, where (something) indicates that I'm not entirely sure of the composition of said piece of wood. The process of cell respiration, or using fat/sugar, takes glucose and oxygen, and puts out carbon dioxide and water. It's the exact same formula! OMGROFL. That's why we call it "burning" fat.

Funny eh?

Ben, I think you've lost me...

Was that an agreement that I should be losing weight (and it's probably OK) since I've cut sugars and grains?

Ooops. I tend to lose people.

Erm... I don't know. I think it's NORMAL for you to be losing weight, because you've cut those things out, as well as malabsorption. I can't really say if I THINK you should be losing weight, as really, you should go with what makes you feel healthiest.

If you feel good, then I'd say keep doing it (whatever you're doing). Just watch that you don't get too low.