• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Three years in, just finished 15 days of pred & it's back... now what?

Hi all,

The post interface wants me to choose an icon, but oh, I'm so many of them. I was diagnosed with CD in late 2013. Symptoms (gas, mainly) started about six months before that. Looking back, it may have been something I ate?

Anyway, I took Lialda for about two years until my body started to disagree with it. My symptoms actually emerged when taking Lialda - that is, diarrhea and bleeding weren't really present until I took it. So, I went off the Lialda and, several months later, last October, had an MRI that can back clean. Surprise and delight!

Forward to December, when I ate something Very Very Wrong while in the hospital with my wife for the birth of our son. While she was pushing, I was bleeding, too. That's an experience to never re-live. My Doc prescribed Prednisone, which worked wonders over its 15-day course. It ended a few weeks ago.

All was well until I ate bacon - I think - this past weekend on a very, very tasty bacon, egg and cheese sandwich. Sunday, I started to bleed like I haven't in the past (heavily). It faded Monday, but started up on Monday evening; and then faded overnight, but returned Tuesday evening. Here I am on Wednesday, same story. It faded overnight, and returned after lunch. Today, it wasn't as bad, but the bowl - so to speak - is still a bit red.

So, questions:

(1) Sounds like a flare? Should I wait for Doc to prescribe - probably - Prednisone (appointment next week) or flee to ER (seems overkill)?

(2) My diet is about as bland as it gets. Bread + egg for breakfast, bread + cheese + turkey for lunch, and the same for dinner. Rice crispies and yogurt thrown in for a snack. Anything I should be avoiding in there?

(3) What's a good course of action after the fact? It seems a *scope check might be in order, to figure out just what happened? Anything else that people have learned?

(4) My wife recommended acupuncture. Anyone had good results from this? Or results at all, to bring down the inflammation?

Thanks for any tips y'all can get and glad that y'all are here.

Cheers

David

Hi. I would call the doctor tomorrow and tell him/her and tell them what is happening. Regarding food, you might try a food diary to see the foods that don't agree with you. I go to a chiropractor and ever so often he checks for foods i am sensitive to. I hope you get answers soon.

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi David,
seems like you are returning to a flare unfortunately. Your doctor will maybe prescribe prednisone again but will want to add along a maintenance medecine to take in the long term. prednisone is a quick fix but often the disease returns after the course. Its good thing that you have an appointment next week. Wishing you well.