• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Tight feeling in throat?

SarahBear

Lately I've been having a weird sensation in my throat. It's tight, like it's closing up, but I can still breathe / eat / drink normally. At first, it was mild - if I held my head up a little higher, the feeling would lessen or go away. It's been worse the past few days - extremely uncomfortable, nothing I've found helps, and it even makes it difficult to sleep. It was also bothering me this morning, which is new - it has only been in the evenings / nighttime.

This has happened before, but it was very mild. I'm pretty sure it was a different time of year (fall / winter, I believe) so I'm not sure about allergies being a cause. I haven't made any dietary changes, other than drinking more water. I am working again after being off for four months, with a large number of dogs daily. I have three of my own, so again, not sure about allergies. The feeling has occurred once or twice while I'm at work, but usually it's while I'm at home.

Stomach-wise, I've just been having mild, occasional symptoms. Nothing new or unusual.

I'll be calling my GP tomorrow to set up an appointment, but in the meantime, any ideas on what might be causing this?

About 12 years ago, I was SURE I was having allergy problems. My throat kept feeling weird and closing up. Long story short, I have a special kind of GERD called laryngopharyngeal reflux, sometimes called ''silent reflux.

SarahBear

Thank you, JenS! I'll be sure to ask about laryngopharyngeal reflux (hoping I spelled that right :eek2: ). Did you have any other symptoms? How did you treat the condition?

It's treated almost the same way you would treat Gerd does a.but you have to double the medicine. For example I would take to preface it's a day as it's more severe than regular acid reflux.