• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Time to go to the hearing level of SSD approval

I got another denial letter stating that I can still work as a security guard. But as a security guard you can't leave for post for hours at a time, there's no breaks, and there's no breaks for lunch. How the hell am I suppose to guard an area when I'm running back and forth to the bathroom every 15 minutes and sitting on the John for 10.

I have to wait till after Christmas to file for my hearing since my lawyer is on vacation. Which means playing the waiting game for even a longer period, and most likely won't be seen until late summer, fall, or even next winter.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I don't know anyone who's on SSD for Crohn's. Fact of the matter is that it can be treated and the government could care less if all of your insides get removed as long as your arms and legs move. SSI should be easier to get though and you don't have to work either. I'm just curious but why are you trying for SSD instead of just SSI?

I wish you luck but its a long battle with no guarantees.

When I applied a lawyer I had consulted with (for free) recommended that I file for both at the same time. Guess I should have done some more homework.

I take probiotics, but all the jobs that are available for H.S. graduates where I am either require lots of labor or being able to go several hours without going to the restroom. Which is pretty hard for me. Plus, I no longer drive because of the ahesion pain, don't have any friends willing to give me rides, and the public transportation system is nonexistent where I live. So I wouldn't be able to get to work anyways.

Last edited:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Well if you get denied again you might be better off trying for just SSI instead. It still pays the bills and the perk of free health care (no dental or psychological help though unless you prove that its a medical emergency, I'm currently seeing a therapist but they only allow 18 sessions and then you have to apply for therapy again). If you receive SSI you are still considered disabled and don't have to work. I guess I just don't see the point of trying for SSD.

Well when there's people who abuse privileges that can be taken advantage of everyone pays the price..it's just the way it goes. plus if you recieve any social security..and you're employed it's fraud..I knew this idiot who bucked the system everyway he could since he knew he had crohn's..he's sadly a poor example to make everyone pay the price for that..

Well if you get denied again you might be better off trying for just SSI instead. It still pays the bills and the perk of free health care (no dental or psychological help though unless you prove that its a medical emergency, I'm currently seeing a therapist but they only allow 18 sessions and then you have to apply for therapy again). If you receive SSI you are still considered disabled and don't have to work. I guess I just don't see the point of trying for SSD.
For someone with health problems, SSI is the way to go. I have had some of my clients on SSI be transferred to SSDI. Looks good on paper as you get more money, but you lose your medical. This is devastating to them. From what I hear from my clients, the process is the same and the waiting/denial thing is the same. I also have some that are on both. One of my clients only get $10 a month in SSI and the remainder in SSD, but it keeps her medical in tact. I have no clue why this happens (being paid on both systems) but it does.

My insurance says for the humira treatments I'd have to pay $150 a month and the Remicade treatment about $1k a month. I don't have that kind of money. I can barely pay for the medications I have now, and even 2 months ago went without them (except for the pred) for several weeks because I couldn't afford them that month.

That sucks! Can you get on a medical assistance program? (sorry I don't know much about the way the American system works, but I do know other people on here have had success with getting free or cheap medication)

i am also applying for disability and social security ins. you may have luck with trying to get medicaid? i didnt think i would get it, but my doctor reccomended it and i applied and recieved it. now it doesnt matter what my ins doesnt cover because medicaid picks up the tab, its very nice and useful to have. it has certainly saved me in being able to pay bills and still get my meds to survive day to day! im not working either. im a HS graduate trying to go to college.. aahha. and i cant keep a job because "i spend too much time in the restroom" well, you gotta go you gotta go!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
The problem with Medicaid and Medi-Cal is that they don't pay for every medication out there. They'll pay for doctor visits and the ER no problem, even CT scans but have a hard time picking up the tab for certain meds which sucks. It also depends on where you live too. I was living in LA county and recently moved to San Luis Obispo county. Here in SLO county Medi-Cal is called Cen Cal. They try to say that they are the same thing but Cen Cal won't pay for medication that Medi-Cal had no problem paying and when the pharmacy tries to bill Medi-Cal instead, they refuse and say that the primary insurance needs to be charged. So Now I'm not taking the beta blockers I need for my heart cause I can't pay for it out of pocket. Not to mention you can't see any doctor you want and wind up being treated in the ghetto somewhere in a filthy office that makes you want to leave.

That's just some quick infor for anyone who thinks that Medi-Cal and Medicaid are the best thing ever, you WILL run into problems with either one at some point because they aren't perfect and they are just as bad as other insurance companies. Better than nothing though since they're free. This is also why I have Crabby in my name. :p

i am also applying for disability and social security ins. you may have luck with trying to get medicaid? i didnt think i would get it, but my doctor reccomended it and i applied and recieved it. now it doesnt matter what my ins doesnt cover because medicaid picks up the tab, its very nice and useful to have. it has certainly saved me in being able to pay bills and still get my meds to survive day to day! im not working either. im a HS graduate trying to go to college.. aahha. and i cant keep a job because "i spend too much time in the restroom" well, you gotta go you gotta go!
The thing about medicaid is it totally depends on where you live. Single adults over the age of 19 can rarely get full medical coverage unless they need help at home, etc. It usually takes a child in the household to make you eligible and then it is income driven. This is what I do for a living....completely stress free I assure you...hahaha. But again, I stress this, it totally depends on what state you live in. We may be fed driven, but we are state run.

Now having said that it is to your benefit to apply because you just never know what programs your state may have that could help you. We have something called employed individuals with disabilities. That is where the person is collecting SSDI and is employed (with no minimum hours during the month) Great program if you ever get the SSDI approval.

Also, sometimes the denial letter can really benefit you if the medical professionals in your area have funds/grants available but need to make sure you have exhausted all your resources.

So you just never know...but it sure can't hurt to apply.

ameslouise

This is kind of off the topic, but is the security job full time? There are laws requiring breaks - like 15 minutes every four hours and a half hour lunch for an 8 hour shift. I can't believe there is no lunch break, unless it is not a full time job.

Good luck with the SSI. I hope you get it, and I hope you start to feel better soon!

- Amy

In the state of Texas service jobs (ie: waiter & gas station clerk) don't get breaks. And since security is classified as part of the service industry in Texas, it falls under the same rules.

Okay, this really gets me going..You should NOT have to go without meds...Maybe a call the CCFA, can help you out...There has to be somekind of help...Or call the local hospital for aide...I am sure you are tired from being sick, and sometimes its hard for us to help ourselves. Is there someone at your church...This just urks me!! I wish I lived closer, I would help...Good luck! Sue

I have helped a friend get humera free through the program that the drug company has. if you care to apply, if your doc agrees that you can take it, you can do so right on line. It is a very simple form.
I also live in Texas. Have you tried to contact the Texas Employment Commission? They have helped several friends with similar situations.
Just throwing out ideas.
Good luck,
Michele