• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Tired and fatigued

So, it has been 4 months since my ileostomy surgery, which has been GREAT no more back pain. Still then I have had some belly pain, but that is due to scar tissue and blockages (also due to scar tissue). Here is my question about 2 months ago I lost all my energy and I am always tired during the day & can fall alseep in in a heat beat ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (sorry). Then when I do wake up I could go right back to bed. I have slept 20 hours straight without an issue. On the other hand I have more energy at night and have a hard time sleeping. They did the blood results today and two doctors say they are "PERFECT". I am only eating one meal a day, but I try to make it large and I substaining my weight, so they are happy with that.

Anyone else have this or any idea, would like to get back to normal, well OK as close to my old self as possible. Thanks for taken the time to read.

Stay safe and Stay Strong

Astra

Hi Semi

great to see you again!
I believe little and often is the key, one meal isn't very sustaining, your blood sugars will dip very quickly, I tend to graze all day, bananas and bread usually! and lots of water!
hope you get some answers
xxxx

I was very fatigued every day.. could barely get out of bed. I started getting B12 shots monthly and it has realllllly helped!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Yep, get your B12 levels done, after surgeries we dont absorb it near as good. Magnesium citrate can help, and check your potassium levels. Blood work is so important with this disease, because alot of times we dont realize what our bodies are lacking. I get b12 shots done too. It does help!

thank you all, they recently just did all the blood work they all came out perfect, so they say. It is hard to explain but I have more engery at night then during the day. So during the days I am tired and only want to sleep, and at night I am wide awake and fight to sleep.

Nothing is ever normal with me - maybe they will find some other weird thing, LMPO

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
What kind of meds are you on? But even still I found I get tired sometimes but the energy is at the day time, prednisone can do that too ya. LOL Hope you can get turned around. Sometimes some people's melatonin or serotonin levels are whacked. Google it , may fit the bill? :hang:

I get very sleepy during the day as well. I also having trouble sleeping at night. I am on Lunesta, but it doesn't always work. When it does I only sleep about 4 hrs. I have an appt. in 2 weeks for a sleep study consultation. I hope to get some help in the zzzzzz department.
Good Luck

I am currently on no medications, since they are not sure what I have. The speical blood showed I possibly have crohn's and with the fistula that were positive. After they removed my J pouch and some more small intestines. Well when they sent them off to pathology they found no signs of Crohn's. They were shocked and now are currently just monitoring me to see what is next.

As for being a paramedic I am still one, but now off the road. Right before my surgery I was offered a Director of Operations at another company, so I currently work 8-4 mon thur friday.

I did do rotating shifts for 15 years and I wonder if that has something to do with this. Who knows I am grapsing for straws at this point, LOL

They have put me on Ambien, but I will only use it after laying in bed for one hour and I am still wide awake.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Well if you have had small bowel removed and I assume it would be terminal ileum then you are most likely having issues with B12. Have you had blood tests done for B12, Iron Stores and Folate?

Dusty. :)

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
I bet the rotating shifts for 15 yrs has a lot to do with it!! I'm a UPS driver. Before I started driving, I loaded the trucks for over 5 yrs and the shifts started anywhere between 3-4 am. Before that, I milked cows a couple of years and started that early as well. I've been driving for over 16 yrs now and to this day rarely do I sleep past 4 am.

And rotating shifts!!! I can't even imagine how a person would ever be able to sleep doing those. For me, with my horrible sleep habits, that would be like a constant case of jet-lag I think.

I hope you get it figured out soon. Geez, with all you've been through:

Age 8 - ABD pain, weight loss, no appetite
Age15 - Admitted with rectal bleeding and pain - treated as Colitis
Age 19 - Colon removal with a ileostomy
Age 20 - J Pouch with a Pull through procedure
Age 32 - Complete blockage (due to scar tissue)
Age 34 - Partial blockage and found to have Crohn's
Age 35 - J pouch has a fistula & both connected to spine
Age 36 - Ileostomy and rectum closed

This has got to be a minor bump in the road!!!