• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

To Those Partners Out There

This is tough to write but I wanted to share my experience with those who might be in the same situation.

9 years ago I met a wonderful woman at university who I adore to this day, a woman who I am so proud of, a woman with a passion to help people, a woman who cares for those around her. As we moved around the country, I tried to support her dreams of becoming a professional barrister and she made it, whilst dealing with my own anxiety issues.

Over the years I became a proud fiance, we planned a wedding for October last year. Then less than 12 months ago she started to develop stomach problems, after numerous trips to A&E in the middle of the night she was finally diagnosed with Crohns. A strong powerful woman with a heart of gold was suddenly hit with this devastating news. I have to admit I new nothing of the illness but this is the woman I love and will be there for her. This was the woman I love, the woman no matter what I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. I needed to be there for her. I knew the road would be long and difficult and knew there would be both the good and the bad times.

After 3-4 months in hospital and surgery she was eventually discharged. What she did next was my inspiration, she joined a self help group for Crohns and began to help others. I remember the day when she came in with an amazing smile happy in the knowledge that she had helped someone else. I was so proud. Not only is she helping others but I was proud with myself for being there day and night whilst she was in hospital.

During this time I became complacent, I believed and hoped life would return to as normal as possible. Crohns had other ideas, she would say to me that unless you have Crohns it is hard to understand. Its true, as a partner it is hard to fully grasp the condition. I tried to be there for her I comfort her, I was never embarrassed when the usual Crohns symptoms appeared. The problem I made Is I never sat down and really spoke to my fiancé.

Over the last few weeks she drifted from me until she decided to leave. The woman I am proud, the woman I want to be there for through thick and thin.

To those partners out there don’t make the mistakes I made. Don’t get complacent and speak to your partner. Understand that you need to make the most of the good times. Make them feel special, make them feel like this illness doesn’t affect them.

I don’t know If the woman I am proud of will be back in my arms. I can only hope. If not I can be proud of what I have done.

OR

I'm sorry you've lost your fiance, but please don't place blame on yourself in this. You believe (or she believes) you didn't do your best. Babe, just because we believe something, doesn't make it true. You did what you could with what you had, and her reasons for separating might be more about what she sees for her future than what she sees as her former dreams. A profound illness makes a profound difference on the way we look at the world.

Try to hang in there. Grief is constant at first, but eventually intervals of peace come when you "forget" your pain. Those intervals will become longer and occur more frequently as time goes on. I wish I could help, but all I can do is offer my best wishes to you.

I'm sorry you've lost your fiance, but please don't place blame on yourself in this. You believe (or she believes) you didn't do your best. Babe, just because we believe something, doesn't make it true. You did what you could with what you had, and her reasons for separating might be more about what she sees for her future than what she sees as her former dreams. A profound illness makes a profound difference on the way we look at the world.

Try to hang in there. Grief is constant at first, but eventually intervals of peace come when you "forget" your pain. Those intervals will become longer and occur more frequently as time goes on. I wish I could help, but all I can do is offer my best wishes to you.
I agree with this member. An illness is a strong moderating variable in a chronic illness. Any relationship has three components/factors: intimacy, passion (the physical component) and commitment. Please refer to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangular_theory_of_love

I think that these dimensions are correlated, even with a time lag. Hence an illness can cause issues with one or more dimensions. This is one reference that I found, albeit not in the context of Crohn's Disease.

https://books.google.co.in/books?id...rg's three dimensions of love illness&f=false

One hopes that she comes back. But even if that is not the case, scientifically it would not be completely unexpected.

My very best wishes so that she comes back.