• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Tony_G Introduction: Hi Everyone!

Hi everyone!
I was diagnosed when I was 10 (I think 2001). Always had symptoms but they were dismissed as “stress” until severe weight loss triggered a more in-depth look. A GI series and 1 colonoscopy later, I was diagnosed around my 10th birthday. I’m now 26.

I’m now living and working in NYC (originally from NYC, did high school upstate, and came back for college and settled). I’m working on my Master’s Degree online in Emergency and Disaster Management and have an undergrad degree in architecture. All I can say is that architectural education is not Crohn’s friendly. Many of the demands of the program I felt were intentionally designed to trigger my symptoms. It was a unique experience that I personally would not consider doing again. Anyway, I am also trying to study for my architecture exams to get licensed, which is also a long but less demanding process.

I went my entire life feeling nauseous 24/7, often throwing up at night. Turns out it was all because of meat. When I finally cut out meat about a year and a half ago, the nausea was gone, and I started gaining weight for the first time. I had a doctor recommend that I drink one bottle of Boost a day and now my weight is stable and I’m no longer anemic. In fact, everything is fine on my blood tests.

I started to look at this blog because I have some symptoms coming back. I caught a cold and it triggered some inflammation. This seems to happen every year for me around the same time and it lasts for a good 3 months. Last year, I was barely able to eat. I would throw up everything. The only good thing is that I recover pretty quickly and am able to gain back my weight with a little extra effort from my annual flare, within 3 weeks usually. At least I know what to expect and I have the benefit of knowing the schedule. I am only in the beginning of it now and it usually doesn’t get bad (what I consider a flare) until about mid-January and lasts until March. I’m still optimistic that I could stop it from getting worse this year.

I've been through most medications and noting works for me. I started on Entocort, then 6mp, then Asacol HD, then Asacol HD with Remicade, then pain old Asacol and I just take nothing now cause nothing works for me. The Remicade was supposed to last a few month my Dr. said, but after a few treatments, we did a special blood test and it was almost fully out of my system in 5 days since the last treatment.

P.S.: I was on a recent trip to Iceland where I met a couple whose neighbor is part of the Crohn family. It was the neighbour's great-grandfather the disease was named after. Just something I wanted to share.

scottsma

Hello Tony and welcome to the forum.Stick around, there's lot's to interest you and lots of support.I know you're story will be of interest to many.

Welcome to the forums Tony :) Also sorry to hear about having some symptoms returning, hopefully you can find a way to alleviate them, it would be great to hear how if you do find a way.