• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Too many variables!

Because this is my first post, I want to try and be as concise as possible. Since I was "officially" diagnosed in 2010 (I underwent a bowel re-section in 1997 and was hospitalized twice for blockages) I have been trying to make sense of this bizarre disease. For the most part, my main complaint is that I just don't "go" on my own. I've tried being a vegan, going gluten-free, high CBD cannabis, etc. I'm on Humira, Entocort, Miralax, and today I obtained a prescription for Linzess. The thing is, every now and then, out of the blue it seems, the inflammation goes away, however briefly. I cannot for the life of me figure out why this happens. I think I may try another diet, but honestly, I hardly eat anything as it is! Any suggestions on what I might try next?

Frustrating. This disease is maddening at times. I'm on Remicade, Budesonide and Lialda, it keeps me functioning, but I still have partial obstruction now and then and generally cruddy days now and then. I did find the paleo diet made a difference in my day to day comfort. And juicing keeps me getting the nutrients I need.
When you say you can't "go", are you saying you're constipated??

Thanks for responding. Yes, constipation. But I am certain that the reason I can't go is inflammation. I'm currently having one of those times where I cut back my intake and use whatever I can to try and go- suppositories, "smooth move" tea, etc., all to avoid major cramps that completely knock me down for a couple of days. Seriously, I eat a banana in the morning, have some Greek yogurt for lunch, and then a light dinner with my family. I actually like taking prednisone, but I'm already having bone loss, so I worry about that.

Sorry to hear what you're going through. This disease can be quite tricky to say the least lol. I'd try keeping a journal of exactly what you eat everyday, and when you eat it. Also track how it affects you and your ability to "go". Also check out Shakeology, I've been using it and it's worked great for me!

one reason is the we are constantly exposed to pathogens in the environement and on our food, like fresh uncooked veggies, nuts, olives etc. and animals carry pathogens too and humans do too, some of these pathogens are good at causing inflammation and one of our main issues in IBD is that our good bacteria are damaged and our defenes against these everyday pathogens are not good. one thing that will help you out is avoid sources of bad bacteria. otherwise if this doesnt help, the inflammation will just fluctuate a little bit from time to time. Following an elimination diet could help find more trigger foods.