• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Tooth decay, use of fluoride and whitening strips

Just got back from the dentist with N and was told that he has two new cavities (he had 3 six months ago) and was given a fluoride gel to put on his teeth each night. I have read that fluoride can cause GI problems and have caused some to go into flares. I have not seen any scientific studies so these are anecdotal but it still makes me worry.

His teeth have also yellowed quite a bit and he would like to use the whitenning strips to brighten things up alittle. He is 18 and in his last year of HS.

Any thoughts on the use of flouride to strengthen his tooth enamel? Can it hurt his gut?

What about whitening strips...can those cause problems?

I know that tooth problems can be as a result of the crohn's and it just breaks my heart that here is one more thing he may have to deal with....Thanks all

We are in that same boat, 3 cavities 6 months ago and now another one! The dentist also mentioned the fluoride to us because C has some soft spots that are pre cavity on his front teeth and C's teeth are also yellowing so he want to try the strips as well.

Not sure what is right at this point, great thread subject though, looking forward to responses.

A hasn't had any cavities but her teeth are a little yellow as well. Even after a cleaning they still have a dingy look to them. I was having her swish with a water/peroxide mix but we have fallen out of that routine lately. Need to get back to it!

Fluoride is not a good substance to put in your body, in fact, it causes teeth to break down, a condition called mottling. This is in excessive doses. I would try vitamin k2 to strengthen enamel.

For more on the negatives of flouride, read the Fluoride-Deception

http://www.amazon.com/The-Fluoride-...1376441193&sr=8-1&keywords=fluoride+deception

Also, there is a school of thought that cavities are caused by nutritional deficiencies as opposed to oral care. Weston Price DDS wrote a fascinating book on the subject in the 1930s.

Nutrition and Physical Degeneration

http://www.amazon.com/Nutrition-Phy...8&qid=1376441400&sr=8-1&keywords=weston+price

Cure Tooth Decay: Heal And Prevent Cavities With Nutrition - Limit And Avoid Dental Surgery and Fluoride

http://www.amazon.com/Cure-Tooth-De...l&keywords=nutritional+dentistry+weston+price

I read somewhere...but can't remember where or which med-but read that some ibd meds cause yellowing of teeth. Anyone know anything of this?

Thanks for your responses all.....it always helps to know that one is not alone in the "worry" department and maybe we can find something to help. The books look interesting steve55... will look into them and report. I am holding off on the flouride since they gave him a tx yesterday. In the meantime we will try the more gentle strips and see if they work.

The only meds I remember discoloring teeth are some antibiotics. I was under the impression that it might be the fact that as the enamel layer gets thinner, the teeth appear more yellow. Well this doesn't make me feel any better...

Will keep looking and report back. Thanks again.

Kev

Steroid use can weaken bone and tooth enamel... so, the upper and lower jaw bones, plus the enamel of the teeth themselves. I know that certain 5-ASA's can discolor urine... orange urine the color of the pills themselves (whether that is the natural hue of mesalamine or a dye the manufacturer adds to it.. I dunno). My guess would be that anything along that line... if the body isn't able to rid itself of all of it.. might bleed into teeth that have less enamel.(I mean, not making light of the situation, and no mention of the old adage 'back teeth are floating'... but certain dyes just don't break down well) Diet may do the same.. orange juice, carrots... things along that line. With weakened enamel, think of the teeth as sponges. Best idea would be to sit down with a dentist, see if he/she has any suggestions.. any concerns. I believe there is a warning in the fine print of those whitening strips... about repeated use or overuse. Best be careful.

Wow, same here. 3 cavities a couple months ago and want him to use an extra flouride toothpaste for bedtime brushing as he has those soft spots as well. Also the yellowing. I keep asking if he has brushed his teeth but still yellow after brushing.

Of course I'm probably inviting trouble by saying this but...

DS is 13 and never had a cavity. No word of soft teeth either. Has had Crohn's for 5 years and he's been on four rounds of steroids in the last two years. Teeth are just a tad yellow, but I always chalked that up to the Celiac more than Crohn's.

So, now that I've said that, he's going to be brushing three times a day instead of two just to throw Murphy off.

Kev

I take it your the superstitious sort... like myself. Not comfortable ... spitting.. in the wind. I spent nearly a year on steroids... (11 months).. and the doses kept increasing to achieve the same results.. I have some bone loss, and had to have my teeth cut out.
Age probably played a factor... Not sure if 7 years on 4 G of 5-ASA had any effect. And, some folks are more ... susceptable.. to some side effects.. while others less so. I don't know how/why, but ... as a child... a group of us wandered into a patch of poisin ivy. It had no effect on me... everyone else... WOW! Some folks take AZA, never have an issue. Me? Put me into the ER. Everybody is different. But, generally speaking, pred is known to affect bone and enamel.. and, since teeth depend on calcium, I wonder if the real issue is calcium intake/absorption. I figure the issue has to be somewhere within the 3 big "D"'s. (diet, drugs, disease)

For me, when I developed my IBD my teeth began to fall apart. I was constantly developing cavities. Additionally I've had 4 root canals.

To combat the problem my dentist suggested using fluoride, along with having teeth cleanings 4 times a year. It didn't help. The cavity problems continued.

When it was suggested that I avoid eating wheat/gluten, which I did, along with taking a few supplements such as vitamin D, magnesium, and vitamin K2, I all but stopped developing cavities.

It still isn't enjoyable going to the dentist office! but since making the changes a number of years ago it has been nice to receive good dental reports.

Mehita, Im so glad DS has great teeth!!! I do think some of this may be genetic, but I find it interesting that it's only as crohns set in that the teeth problems get worse. I do imagine nutrient absorption has something to do with it, plus I know that at least Nico's intake of Ca, Mg, D and K are low. I also read something about cod liver oil being of benefit to teeth (probably due to vit D). Time to beef up the supplements! Thinking of doing this for 6 months before starting the fluoride treatments.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
We are part of the lucky brigade here too, touch wood and spin around three times! :lol:

My two have no fillings or tooth issues and Sarah is 7 years post diagnosis.

Fluoride certainly seems to be a very polarising issue and I am assuming that you have Fluoride in your water supply?
I guess you could try the gel and track things and if there are no other outside influences and gut problems seem to creeping in then stop the gel. Ugh, just another risk v's benefit to throw into the equation! But it does seem that his oral health is at the fore at present.

Dusty. xxx

My son was in braces when he was diagnosed and still is, which concerned me, but so far he hasn't had any problems with his teeth. Only had one cavity in a baby tooth several years ago, which didn't even need to be filled...

I am encouraged by reading that bad teeth are not necessarily a given with crohns, or that it can be treated to some extent by dietary means. I have been reading about oil pulling whereby a teaspoon of oil (coconut or other veg) is swished in the mouth for 20 minutes a day (while showering in the am for example), with the idea that it pulls bacteria from the mouth. Sounds interesting and harmless....may give it a shot and see what happens in 6 months. If not, I guess we will do the flouride and see if it gives us any problems. Will report back if we get good results!!!

Here's something that concerns me. Fluoride is literally rat poison. People give this stuff to their children and expect them to behave as adults. When you brush your teeth with a fluoride toothpaste, you should make sure you thoroughly rinse it ALL out good. So many people barely rinse and especially children. They end up swallowing it and that builds up inside their little bodies. Injuring their bones and organs. It is poison people! Use Tom's of Maine and don't use fluoride rinses at all. There are alot of other things you can do to keep their teeth healthy! Also whitening strips are bleach. Do you think bleach is good for your teeth? It ruins the enamel!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I understand and appreciate your concerns and opinion Teresa but it serves no good to come to a Parent's Forum and imply that they are poisoning their children. I don't object to you saying it a poison but the method in which you are relaying your message could be done more sensitively.

Dusty.

nogutsnoglory

Fluoride is fantastic at preventing cavities in children and adults. In the amount of time kids brush their teeth with it before rinsing and spitting, fluoride would not be able to penetrate the gum line. I think it's just important that parents are on top of making sure their children know that just as important as brushing is rinsing.

FYI many Tom's of Maine versions contain fluoride as well.

My kids have used Tom's for quite a while when they were young at a point when I was still brushing their teeth. They had a lot of cavities during that time. I will be the first to admit my children seem more prone then others to getting cavities and they eat well, not a lot of juice, soda or candy, brush their teeth 2x a day and it seems like the only time when we have not had a cavity at nearly every dentist visit is when they are using an additional flouride rinse or now they are using an extra fluoride toothpaste once a day.
And my kids hate the taste of mint so I know they are rinsing quite well, if nothing else then just to get the taste out of their mouth :lol:
Most whitening strips that I have used on myself not the kids are hydrogen peroxide.

Sorry everyone, didn't realize I was coming off so harsh. I just read and heard alot about how bad fluoride is and it scares me for kids. But if they are rinsing well, I'm sure there are no problems. I do apologize!!:)

Last edited:

Kev

It is tricky to convey warnings to people about what is good/bad out there. First of all, the 'experts' keep reversing themselves. Thursday morning, the co-hosts of a radio show I listen to every morning (one of the perks of being a truck driver, I listen to the radio all day long) quipped about a recent study where the experts said 4 cups of coffee a day is good for you. The very next morning, they talked about a recent Mayo study that said 4 cups of coffee a day doubled your risk of dying... unless you were older than 55. I think you have to take in information... with a grain of salt (unless you suffer from high blood pressure)... pass on any tidbits of info that may be relevant.. yet demand the 'reader' double check and investigate on their own. Simply because what is bad for you today may be good for you tomorrow... and my experience has taught me that life isn't really black or white... and that, with knowledge and moderation, consideration, we can make our way individually or collectively thru the minefield of mis-information the 'experts' keep laying out before us on our trek thru life. Or just put our best foot forward. And hope it doesn't get blown off...

Your intentions were good, crossroads, and we get that. I'm sure I'm not the only parent who spent an hour reading up on fluoride. The delivery just stung a bit. As parents of chronically ill children, we're all just doing the best we can.

Back to teeth...

Earlier I said DS hasn't had any cavities and I wanted to add that when he was 4 or so he had sealants put on his molars and I think that is the primary reason for no cavities. I don't know if this is common, but pretty common at our clinic. He has all his permanent teeth and if I recall correctly, they also put sealants on his permanent molars. His little brother is the same. Sealants, no cavities. If you've got little ones, it might be something to consider. Maybe older kids too...?

My son had sealants as well when he was young and we didn't have the problems with cavities until back last year forward. I asked about the sealants again and our insurance only covers it until age 14, we are considering out of pocket. The only other thing in the last few years is my son drinks only bottled water, so he isn't getting the flouride he got when he was younger. But there are so many variables that it may have no connection at all.

Your intentions were good, crossroads, and we get that. I'm sure I'm not the only parent who spent an hour reading up on fluoride. The delivery just stung a bit. As parents of chronically ill children, we're all just doing the best we can.

Back to teeth...

Earlier I said DS hasn't had any cavities and I wanted to add that when he was 4 or so he had sealants put on his molars and I think that is the primary reason for no cavities. I don't know if this is common, but pretty common at our clinic. He has all his permanent teeth and if I recall correctly, they also put sealants on his permanent molars. His little brother is the same. Sealants, no cavities. If you've got little ones, it might be something to consider. Maybe older kids too...?
I agree. They put them on my kids molars too and they didn't get any till they were much older and not taking good care of their teeth.

Alex has great teeth - no cavities. He has had the yellowing issues though and it was worse when his nutritional intake wasn't good.

We've done the white trips without issue, but he spits a lot when he has them in and doesn't leave them full time.

On a side note, he also had braces and not surprising ended up with a lot inflammation in his gums from it :/

My son had sealants also but it seems that some of the recent cavities were under the sealants. I asked his dentist (this is now the non pedi one) if he couldn't just put new sealants on and he said that unless they are extremely well placed (is There any other way??!) they can still get cavities, plus they easily shift or crack and then food/bacteria can seep in.....I'm still going to wait on the fluoride and then maybe have him see the dentist in 3 months instead of six. I am also going for a second opinion next visit just to get another dentists point of view. My son also drinks mostly RO water so that could be some of the problem.

I wonder if using the fluoride gel once or twice a week would help, or if it has to be done every day. Another question to ask the dentist! He has started using a pro enamel toothpaste which I assume has extra fluoride so I don't want to over do it.

my little penguin

Staff member
we use ACT fluoride rinse no issues there. Ds has not had official fluoride "treatment" at the dentist due to food allergies by my other child has.

Kev

Interesting stuff. The issue I have is... for those who want flouride, let them source it on their own. To pump it into public water... by decree.. that just doesn't sit well with me. It takes away my choice in the matter. The public has not only a right to safe drinking water, it has a need. And governments (at whatever level) should focus on that. Nice, white teeth... hey, that's nice. But, it isn't a necessity of life. In the public water system, not only are we drinking it, we are washing in it, cleaning our clothes with it, filling the backyard or public pools with it, hell... we even spray it willy nilly on fires. How much flouride do we expose ourselves to on a daily basis thanks to some 'nice idea' put forward by nameless bureaucrats way back when? Hmmm, I just washed my car, and now the front grill looks like it is smiling at me. Oh, and it is time to bathe the dog.

I, personally, would be concerned about the amount of... not absolutely necessary... chemicals we expose ourselves to on a recurring, daily basis. If there is a chronic health condition involved, my concern would increase, and hopefully acceptable exposure to those 'chemicals' would correspondingly decrease (if within my control). If the person with the chronic health issue were a child, then I would be even more concerned, even more cautious.

Same goes for the whitening strips... the do it yourself at home ones. I recall there being a disclaimer, a warning (but my memory isn't what it used to be) inside their print material about use/overuse. To me, those warnings were intended for healthy people. If I had an illness like IBD on the plate (right, I do), I would be even more circumspect in my use of these products. Else I'd bite the bullet (if only I had the teeth to do it with) and seek out a dentist, and get his/her professional opinion if whitening is a safe option. I think this would be the optimal choice, with maybe even a 2nd opinion, in a childs case.