• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

#*%@!! toothache.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I have a toothache that appeared a couple of days ago. I think it's my wisdom tooth.

My jaw feels like I have been punched with a brick. I currently can't chomp, and I love chomping.

I have tried everything, in fact here's a list: Tylenol 3s, marijuana, alcohol, clove oil, and cocaine. Nothing works, although some have worked mildly in conjunction with each other.

And for the record, I don't do blow, but it does have medical uses as a topical numbing agent and is often used for nasal surgery. You just put a bit on your finger and rub it on the gums. I just happen to know people who occasionally do it at parties.

Trysha

Staff member
Hi Vonfunk,
Sorry to hear of your dental problems and I can really commiserate with you.
I had three emergencies in two weeks and the final cost---$600.00!!, and these are teeth that have been repaired over and over.Tomorrow I have another appointment for cleaning and checkup, probably another $200.. up the spout, or should I say to be swallowed!!
Have you tried a good dentist lately? Unfortunately there are no other answers.
By the way I enjoyed reading your blogs-well done.
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

Ouchie! I hope your mouth feels better soon. You should probably get it checked out though if you can. The problem with mouth things is the longer you let them go the worse and more expensive they become.

Actually - is it your tooth or your jaw? Is it possible it could be TMJ?

ameslouise

NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING can take away tooth pain. Did you see Castaway? Nearly drove Tom Hanks mad till he knocked out his tooth with an ice skate.

Hope you can get to a dentist quick to get it taken care of.

- Amy

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
It's a gum infection, no cavities, the wisdom tooth is fine. They were able to fit me in after work, on my way home now, hopefully I'll get to the pharmacy before it closes.

rygon

every so often i get pains in my left set of my teeth, its a bitch. Hope you get better (and post more recipes)

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
It should be fine, and due to an upcoming birthday where there are unknown food restrictions, I will be experimenting with a vegan, gluten and nut free dessert. I will post the results.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
Apparently if I drink while on this medication I will vomit violently and get painful cramps, so i'm going to hold off for a couple of days until after the Christmas party at work.

I feel your pain...I had double abscesses when I accidentally broke a tooth and was in the worse pain...Dilaudid was like take a tictac....it did nothing! They are the worse. Get to the dentist and get them OUT. I had two pulled....and just finished a root canal last week. I haven't been able to eat good solids for like over a month now...

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'm getting two of mine pulled some time soon (well, when it gets infected again). They've both had root canals already but they never got crowns cause, well, I forget! Anyhoo the last dentist I saw said I need the root canals done a second time on each and then have a crown put on. Well my insurance only pays for extractions so... :p I guess some day I'll be able to ask my significant other if they'd like my teeth in or out.

Glad you get to keep your tooth! :D

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I might end up holding off on the meds until Friday, I won tickets to see The National and Neko Case on Thursday, and am deciding if I want to drink at the show.

Neko Case!? AAAHHHHH JEALOUS

I would start the meds now. But it's easy for me (a non-drinker) to say surely it would be better to treat the pain and sober than drink but still be in pain.

Have fun either way.

Well, if you do hold off, whisky is good. It's antiseptic and the warmth can help ease the pain. If you don't want to drink, you can just swill it round your mouth. I guess a good bourbon might substitute.
Although, it was one antibiotic - either Cipro or Metro - my GP told me even one drop makes you violently sick.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
It's metro. And I'm not going to start taking it until tomorrow, I'm currently getting liquored up at the company Christmas party.

ameslouise

Have fun at the Xmas party!

I was on metro a couple years ago and timed it precisely so I could have a mimosa on Xmas morning. YOu need to give it a couple days to get out of your system.

Good luck - be careful! -Amy

I might end up holding off on the meds until Friday, I won tickets to see The National and Neko Case on Thursday, and am deciding if I want to drink at the show.
Ahhhh! No way! What did you think of the show?? I saw that show here in Montreal on the 9th... The National are one of my favorite bands of the 2000's.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
So the gum infection has not gone away, just got back from the dentist. Instead of 600mg of flagyl a day, I'm on 3000mg. I am required to be sober until the 27th. I will be sober for 3 parties, one of which I am hosting.

Sharon - The show was good, we missed the opener Wye Oak, apparently they hit the stage at 7pm. It was a good show, I'm not a massive fan, but they have a handful of songs that I really dig, I would have liked it more if it wasn't in a hockey arena. I was not aware that they were big enough to play an arena.

Oh no! Sorry to hear about the gums, and the prescribed sobriety. Well, hey, you should be good to go for New Years, you'll just have to make up for those 3 parties. :p

Not sure about T.O., but the 2/3 of the hockey arena here was curtained off for the show. Wye Oak was good, but they all really would have been suited to a smaller venue. I'm not much of an arena-show type of girl, but had to make an exception for that show. ;)

Hope you feel better soon!

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I'm hosting new year's as well, I'll be fine by then. If I've timed the medication right I should be okay for my thing on the 26th, but it's hard to say.

I really miss chomping on things.