• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Totally new to talking about Crohn'n

Hi I was diagnosed 26 years ago with crohn's .56 now and finding it a little harder to deal with. Have had just about everything with it except the ability to discuss it with anybody but my wife or Drs. I guess you could say I have tried so hard to hide it . Even to the point after hospital stays friends and family say( Oh Your all set,You look good ) I have had a pretty tough time with it, but somehow over the last 26 years with it. I have managed to rise two get sons and stay married for 36 years and build a whole lot of cool furniture. I think everyone needs to find a purpose and it can't be your illiness. For me it was family and building furniture. In july of last year I did a total diet change. That did somewhat help with the arthritis. I started Humira last week , got my 4 shots , still feel a little funny not sure if it's the humira or that I haven't had a donut in the last 8 months .:)

Welcome Tedcin! This is a great forum for information and support. You're quite right that the disease shouldn't be your life. I can't eat donuts either - must be the fat/sugar combination but they are lethal for me.

Furniture was my passion for a long time - I used to sell modular furniture and high end designer pieces. Loved learning about the designers and seeing how designers would integrate pieces into a space.

Take care and feel free to ask questions or just vent if need be!

dave13

Forum Monitor
Welcome Tedcin!
Sorry to hear you suffered in silence for so long.Plenty of crohnies here that can empathize with you.Sounds like your focus on family and your passion for making furniture really pulled you through some rough times.Great attitude towards crohns.I try to have a similar take as well.I don't hide the fact I have crohn's.I don't just bring it up in casual conversation either.The 'you don't look sick' card gates old quick.If you spend some time checking out others posts you will see many hear very similar thoughtless comments.I'm 50 and fairly new to cd.Folk here have been very supportive and informative.

Welcome Tedcin! Sorry to hear you've had to suffer in silence for so long. It's great that you have joined us now though. Hope the Humira does the trick for you. It can take a couple of weeks before you feel a difference.