• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Tough

I know I posted in surgery about my friend he wants the ileostomy because he can't get use to the symptoms. It he's struggling bad. But anyways last night I got a call from his dad and was told he wrote a note left it on the table his dad came home and seen the gun missing and walked in to my buddy with the gun to his head. His dad got the gun and he asked him why and my buddy said I hate Crohn's I hate pooping every 5 min and that he just can't take it:(. He was always happier on the bag and looked a lot happier

I think your friend needs urgent counselling whatever decision he makes with regards to having the bag or not. Has he meet with his surgeon yet?

valleysangel92

Staff member
Absolutely, it sounds like your friend has severe depression and although a bag can improve things, if he has crohns then it might not solve the problem. A bag is not a cure and crohns can still come back even after surgery, it's important that your friend is prepared for this.

It sounds like he needs counselling and maybe antidepressants, but he definitely needs to be honest with his medical team about how bad things are. He cannot go on like that, he is a danger to himself in this state.

Crohns can be very difficult to live with but there are treatments and he can have a much better quality of life, it just takes a bit of trial and error to find what works best for the individual.

Nicola is right. I was contemplating a stoma but the problem is that it can't cure Crohns, I think I was fed up and depressed and just wanted the illness gone. It might be his symptons are crohns related and need treatment. But it is his decision at the end of the day, and he certainly cannot continue in this way. He is lucky to have such a good friend. Even if the surgeon agrees, I would still recommend some sort of therapy and perhaps a short dose of antidepressants.

He is on here he doesn't do much anymore. I believe his name is brad1025. And than you for the help and support. I'm going to the surgeon appt with him tomorrow

valleysangel92

Staff member
If you are concerned for his welfare then you could maybe tell the surgeon, but because of confidentially it might be hard to speak to him in any detail without your friend knowing about it

Is there anything I should say?
I think you need to tell the surgeon how worried you are and how ill he has been. Perhaps you could ask about whether he should see his GI, as surgeons deal with the mechanical problems and not the disease itself. I know that it works differently in the States than the UK.