• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Towards a holistic, multidisciplinary approach

hi I'm Kevin. 2 1/2 years ago I was diagnosed by my Cleveland Clinic gastroenterologist with symptoms of Crohn's and Colitis. Soon after I was diagnosed as lactose intolerant. I had about 6 months of diarrhea prior to seeking medical attention. I was 18 years old and would tough it out until I was on vacation and having diarrhea everyday.

I had a colonoscopy and I don't recall results. Inflammation mostly in the lower region (rectum, colon). My first treatment was melamine enemas, which I had an allergic reaction to (sharp pain while breathing). I have tapered Prednisone 3 times. I was on melamine for most of my time seeing that practitioner. When the same symptoms (blood in stools, abdominal pain, indigestion, etc.) persisted I tried Apriso. I tried Canasa. My pain would not cease, and yet more meds were being thrown at me.

My last visit to this practitioner was them telling me I was tested as a candidate for Azathioprine. The potential lymphoma terrified me. I got sick enough as it was, and immunosuppressant seemed like a less-than ideal choice. They also prescribed me a laxative that I also never used.

I have been seeing a chiropractor for over a year now. As a result I uncovered further food allergies and sensitivities (I am allergic to lactose/casein, egg yolks/whites, malt, mustard, peanuts & avoid corn, carrageenan, refined sugar, etc.) My current supplements are Bio-HPF and Bio-immunozyme forte. I ice my abdomen 3 times a day.

I have pain on and off, my state has much improved. Pain remains to be either lower abdominal or anal. Blood in stools on occasion. I have on average 1 stool per day, in the morning. Otherwise I'm constipated, gassy, or am in the bathroom 4-6 times per day. I am extremely conscious of my diet. I get stressed being alone at college away from family and doctor.

I have been wishing to seek another gastroenterologist in Columbus for the last semester of college. I want some opinions about my current treatments, and how I can incorporate the lifestyle knowledge into a full-fledged recovery. I'm most interested in seeing the progress I've had, as I feel much better but am still enduring difficult, life-haulting, restricting symptoms.

Stay tuned for more, ask for me to sift thru medical records and I will! I love feedback on my alternative route to better health.

If you still have pain and bleeding the homeopathic thing is not working you need conventional meds and quickly doctor I,m afraid.good luck

Axel, like I said, I'm trying to get a new doctor where I currently go to school. The process is stalled because my Pediatrician is doing the recommendation and hasn't made it a priority.

Prednisone helped with the bleeding but I was at risk of a lot to do another round. I'm not comfortable taking the drastic step of immunosuppressants when the doctor was not explaining the treatment in a way that I understood. I don't want it to feel like the practitioner is guessing. I want to trust rationality not authority.

I agree with you and that's why I'm labeling it a multidisciplinary approach. I want to find a gastroenterologist who can explain the science behind the treatment because that is what I deeply appreciate about the homeopath.

I think at first it is essential to understand the disease and how standard of care and treatment has changed. Standard of care treamemt for many years was reduction of symptoms or what is called clinical remission. Then it was discovered simmering inflammation even in asymptomatic patients led to higher risk of stricturing due to scar tissue, obstructions and surgery. So, now the goal of treatment is full mucosal healing. This promotes deep stable remission which includes clinical, endoscopic and histological remission and leads to longer periods of remission.

A non-invasive tool to check for GI tract inflammation is the fecal calprotectin stool test. It's a good way to keep track of the efficacy of any treatment since it is an inflammation marker of the GI tract only.

As far as treatment choices, reading the side effects can be scary but always keep in mind that untreated or under treated CD can lead to serious risks as well. Before meeting with your new GI maybe you could make a list of your questions and concerns and have him go over all of them. It could make you more comfortable with the choices you make whatever they may be.

Good luck and I hope you find remission soon.

You,ve just discovered a common thread that runs across all countries,some doctors have the personal skills of a dead fish(no insult meant for the fish)and if they actually took the time to explain to patients what's happening we,d all be a little happier.

Don't go insulting fish now! Hahaha!

Hi Kevin! Welcome! Great that you are so proactive about your health!

Have you seen CCFA's website? They have some great webcasts - I've learned a ton listening to them: http://www.ccfa.org/resources/webcasts.html

In particular, I found the "What's Best for Me?" one to be great about laying out the actual risks of different treatments: http://www.ccfa.org/resources/webcasts.html#webcast10

IBD is so varied among different folks! I've found that diet plays a big part in how I feel. I think there are a good number of folks who need a "combination" approach to treatment... the right med(s)/doses for them, the right diet for them, &etc.

I am going to add black seed oil to my anti inflammation supplements. Never tried it before. But it has some interesting properties that got me interested.

I thought you might like to research this as a possible help for the inflammation that Crohns brings to the table.

Good luck.

Dan

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi,

I feel its unacceptable your pediatrician is not making a priority of refering you to a GI in your region, not only you have a serious disease, it is also active and must be monitored! You could go to the ER of the closest hospital (make sure they have gastroenterology dept.) and ask to be seen by a GI. otherwise referring and time for an appointment can take several months... you dont want to risk your symptoms to be worsening to a point its a real emergency.

also regarding alternative medecine, I have seen many different kinds, it is true these doctors take a lot more time. In the regular hospitals, unfortunately, doctors dont have the same amount of time with patients. They are overloaded and the clock is ticking. That being said, some doctors have better social skills than others. Hopefully you can find one that suits you.