• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

TPN/Bowel Rest before surgery

Hello! New to the crohn's forum, but unfortunately not new to crohn's.

My GI doctor is recommending a planned "Robotic/laparoscopic/open redo ileocolic resection" on 7/31/17. The surgeon is recommending bowel rest and TPN for 6-8 weeks before surgery to help the inflammation subside. The surgeon believes TPN/Bowel rest will 1.) Reduce the risk of stoma allowing him to reconnect healthy tissue with healthy tissue and 2.) Allow my body to recover from the 10% body weight loss in preperation for a smooth recovery post operation.

Questions:
1. Does 6-8 weeks of bowel rest/TPN seem longer than necessary or the correct amount of time?
2. Is 4 weeks long enough recovery time to go on a pre-planned European cruise?
*The surgeon is busy and I'm trying to get him to move the surgery to the beginning of July to increase recovery time before trip. Unfortunately he is booked solid and would have to add another surgery to a full day to get me in earlier.

Background:
•I have had crohn's for 16 years (27 years old now)
•emergency open bowel resection in 2011.
•most recently my health started deteriorating after recurring C. Diff.
-first C. Diff was diagnosed 9/13/16
-recurrent 10/29/31
-recurrent 1/5/17
-2/28/17 officially negative for c. Diff. I attribute this to Vancomycin and Florastor probiotic.
•Built up immunity to Humira, now off. GI wants to start Remicade/azathioprine after surgery.
•admitted to hospital 5/12/17 - 5/17/17
-CT scan showed slight obstruction and small abscess.
-abscess treated with antibiotics and has subsided.
•CT enterography 5/24/17
-Showed fistulae, partial obstruction, and Dilation. Doctors believe dilation indicates scarring.
-surgery is recommended due to obstruction caused by scarring.
•TPN started 6/1/17
•Surgeon would like me on bowel rest and TPN for 6-8 weeks before surgery.

Regards,
Andrew

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry you have this dusease. You have found a good place to come to. I dont know about your first qyestion. I had a resection seven years agi in the early part of April. It was June before I was allowed to return to work . I dont know how that compares to the trip you will be taking.