• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Travel Insurance (for Canadians)

Tesscorm

Staff member
My son was diagnosed with Crohns last year. We will be travelling internationally in a few months and thought it would be best to clarify our insurance coverage (which is through my employment). The coverage states that:

Coverage is also provided for a significant, unforeseeable complication of an existing pre-diagnosed condition which was completely stable at the time of departure from Canada.

We cannot guarantee coverage of pre-diagnosed conditions, as every claim must be assessed on an individual basis, and medical info will be requested as necessary at that time. We can only suggest that prior to leaving Canada, you review this information with your physician.

So although my son hasn't had a flare since his diagnosis, if a recent test were to show slightly elevated 'anything' or if any imaging showed 'any' inflammation, would this be cause to not be considered 'completely stable'??

Am going to ask them for clarification (and ask GI too) but just wondering if anyone here has any experience/knowledge???

:)

How long will you be out of the country? I bought travel insurance when I went on vacation earlier this year; it had a similar statement, but thankfully all was well and I didn't have to use it...

I would assume if he were to have a blood test before leaving that showed no markers of inflammation, and he were to fall ill in the other country, that you would be covered... But, insurance companies love to make it a challenge!

Tesscorm

Staff member
We will only be gone for a week but I thought it would be worth checking into for this trip and for future trips.

But, the way it's worded is so unfair!!! :ymad: There must be some standard criteria! So, what... if the adjuster is having a lousy day, they can just say 'no'? You'd think this would leave the insurance company open to bribery, favouritism, etc. Really doesn't make sense that they don't have set and defined criteria... but, will be asking :)