• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Traveling to Punta Cana, good idea?

After a year of being diagnosed with crohn's and having gone through absolute hell I am thinking of going to Punta Cana , Dominican Republic for a week. Before all this hapened I wouldn't have hesitated but now I am scared of traveling , especially to a place down south where people are known to getting sometimes stomach sick... I'm pretty much stable, I have my good and bad days, i'm presently on medication so thats why i'm thinking, now's the chance to take a small vacation. I would be going to a resort where they have a buffet all included. How is the food at the dominican? Would this be a safe bet, should I be worried?

If your stomach is stable I would chance it. You can always fly back home if something unforeseen happens?

I'm afraid I cannot comment on the food. I've never been that way.

if your doctor thinks it's ok, and you feel ok, then i'd probably say yes - go. but be careful what you eat, maybe try & steer clear of meats unless they've just been cooked fresh for you... take lots of rehydration sachets with you just in case you get the runs and get dehydrated, and keep some of these sachets in your hand luggage too.

if you swim in the sea, take care not to swallow any sea water. i ended up in a resort hospital for 4 days after doing that one year :( got some form of gastroenteritis from the water.

I just came back from Mexico, and I was SOOO worried about getting sick...and I was better there than I am when I'm at home!

I drank water from the tap of our resort (it was purified, i checked!), and ate whatever I wanted from the all inclusive buffet!

Do be careful when you leave the resorts though...I didn't eat ANY food off of the resort.

Check with your doc to make sure it's safe before you go, but other than that, HAVE A GOOD TIME!!!!

Oh, and another thing!! I bought travel insurance for myself and my husband, in case anything happened, and it covered BOTH of our emergency evacuations should something have happened to either one of us, and it covered our accomodations and travel should we have had to stay at a hospital there. I also wrote down and kept with me names and addresses of local hospitals...just in case :) I also took a bucket load of imodium with me, for 'those' days.

A vacation is usually a stress free time. I would go for it.

I am going to Texas soon for a NASCAR race and to see some relatives. I wouldn't miss it unless I was bed ridden.

Dan

Last edited:
alright well I finally "chickened" out mainly because how it got me thinking that I got sick years ago ( before crohn's ) in cuba with something I ate. I think I will definately travel but i'll choose another destination other than the south :)

J

JillianB82

Well being new to all of this myself, I know how you feel, I need a vaca!

Sorry to hear you're not going, but you need to go somewhere soon, for sanity sake! :)

ninety said:
alright well I finally "chickened" out mainly because how it got me thinking that I got sick years ago ( before crohn's ) in cuba with something I ate. I think I will definately travel but i'll choose another destination other than the south :)

I'm not sure of ninety is in the US Ding but thanks to our former President we can't carry any liquids over 3oz onto an aircraft yay! Although I wonder if having a doctors note would allow you to take things that are liquid and could be considered required medication onboard with you .. hmmm interesting question.

Sorry to dig up/vampire an old thread but I had to get my two-bits in.

I love to travel and Chrons be damned, I'm going to travel, and I'll take both kids and the dog most of the time too!

All I do is search for a really good listings page, one of those deal finders, and I punch in as much options as I can to narrow down to what works. Some listings are VERY detailed even telling you where they import the meat from and what drinks are available.

If I was going to punta cana/DR I'd look at something like this punta cana dominican republic page and start narrowing it down from there.

Hope you found something like this and didn't hesitate to go!?

Is it possible to mail Liquids and certain foods ahead?
Find out about buying your own food to prepare or pre-packaged, at stores there?
Have FUN Wherever you go!