• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Travelling

Hey guys,

I'm planning on a trip to Berlin at the end of the month, its the first time i've been abroad since being diagnosed. I was wondering what people have done travel insurance wise when abroad. Is a European Health Insurance Card suffiicient?

Cheers

James

I haven't been abroad since 2002. We just filled in whatever form it was E111, now I think you have to apply for an EHIC.
Does travel insurance cover you for pre-existing conditions?...

I found this about the EHIC - "Maternity care, renal dialysis and managing the symptoms of pre-existing or chronic conditions that arise while abroad are all covered by the EHIC."

From that I think the card alone would be sufficient, but if you are worried perhaps take out a wider spectrum form of insurance like other members have suggested, just incase you need to cancel the trip due to illness.

I travel to the USA on a frequent basis and the first thing I do, before I've booked anything, is take out insurance! It's been a lifesaver! Other than that really hope you enjoy your trip and everything runs smoothly whilst you are away. :)

Cheers for the advice guys. I thought the EHIC would be suffiicient. I'm only going for a few days like but my mother is a professional worrier I think she imagines that German doctors are too busy playing sythesizers and listening to Kraftwerk to treat the English. Me however, I have faith in our German cousins and thier healthcare. In fact I imagine listening to Kraftwerk whilst being treated would be quite fun.These are of course woeful stereotypes that I intend to shatter when I visit.

Thanks!

From NHS website...

"Your EHIC will allow you access to the same state-provided healthcare as a resident of the country you are visiting. However, many countries expect the patient to pay towards their treatment, and even with an EHIC, you might be expected to do the same. You may be able to seek reimbursement for this cost when you are back in the UK if you are not able to do so in the other country.

The EHIC is NOT an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or the cost of things such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, repatriation to the UK or lost or stolen property. "

I just went for a week's holiday to the Canaries and took out travel insurance for first time since diagnosis. If you're going to take out insurance, make sure you get a policy where you can declare your condition, even if you decide not to cover it. A lot of the cheaper policies on the comparison websites doon't let you declare pre-existing conditions and if they find out about it, it can invalidate your whole policy...even for something totally unrelated to the Crohn's.

I always take out travel insurance as well as the EHIC... which I don't believe is sufficient on its own. I've always been covered for pre-existing conditions... but obviously you have to declare them, if you don't declare them you'll be wasting your time and your money

Kuwabara said:
Cheers for the advice guys. I thought the EHIC would be suffiicient. I'm only going for a few days like but my mother is a professional worrier I think she imagines that German doctors are too busy playing sythesizers and listening to Kraftwerk to treat the English. Me however, I have faith in our German cousins and thier healthcare. In fact I imagine listening to Kraftwerk whilst being treated would be quite fun.These are of course woeful stereotypes that I intend to shatter when I visit.

Thanks!
If you think listening to Kraftwerk is in any way fun, you deserve the worst modern medicine has to offer.

If its the X&Y album I'd say yes - the others I can take or leave! 'The Scientist' is an all time classic IMO.

So what's the longest period and furthest people have gone with this disease? Because I'm eyeing up at least a couple of months in the Far East. I just want to get one of those huts on a remote beach in Thailand and just chill. £1.20 a night they are apparantly!

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Check out travelguard. They provide travel health insurance at least for US and I believe UK residents as well.

I've traveled for up to 3 weeks outside the US.