• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Treatment Dismay

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Does it bother anyone that the treatments for this are so bad? I mean, the side-effects of some of the treatments are not worth living through. The surgeries are pretty harsh and certainly leave one altered. Some of the treatments don't seem to do much. It really seems like they just give you a bunch of stuff that may or may not help and then leave your body to its own natural progression. If your body wants to flare, it does. If it doesn't, it won't. I am not sure the meds even really do that much. I'm glad I pursued a line of alternative medicine / holistic medicine that keeps this thing in check (been doing good with NO pain or flares in 6 months) and I don't have to take all the dreadful stuff you all report. I just get the sense the medical community is just flailing around with this illness and can't really get a handle on it. They give you stuff and hope your body chooses to be good. Or, they cut it out. I am decidedly NOT inspired.

W

wi_girl

I agree.I've noticed that almost all if not all of the medications theyve put me on include side effects like abdominal pains and cramps,diarrhea,nausea,etc.Correct me if I'm wrong but I already go through that and isnt that why they put you on the medication?

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
I guess this is a big vent I have had. It just seems like your body is gonna do what it's gonna do on this disease and the meds make it look like the doctors are doing something. I don't know, maybe they help. I know that Pentasa didn't do anything for me. I wouldn't even go for the immune suppressant. Entocort does seem to help if I take it for 1-2 days when I begin to get some pain (usually from eating fruit, veges, or high fiber). But mostly, it seems to be the body doing what it wants. Could be wrong, who knows? I wish I had a camera installed where I could just view inside and outside of the intestines every week or so.