• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Treatment Options for mild/mod crohn's

HI all,

I was diagnosed with Crohn's Sep 07. I have been on Asacol and just recently Entocort. My recent colonoscopy showed 20% inflammation in the colon which is more than I had with the first colonoscopy. My physician is thinking of trying a biologic or maybe Imuran. My questions:

How do you define mild, moderate or severe chrohn's?
I go to the bathroom 3-4 times a day no real pain and mostly formed stool.

Has anyone tried any alternative medicines instead of ones that knock the immune system down?

What kind of side effects have people had with Humira, Cimzia or Remicade?

What about side effects with Imuran?

Does anyone know how long you can take Humira, Cimzia or Remicade?

Is it true once you have tried one of the 3 you can no longer use them again if you stop?

Thanks for the help!!

Kit

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Hi Kit-
I have had no side deffects with Imuran. A few people here have had liver toxicity, hair loss, and extreme fatigue, but I have noticed nothing and have been on it since November.
I had no side effects with Humira either. I was in a great remission on it until it just stopped working after 4 1/2 months.
I have had no side effects on Remicade so far, and I have had 4 infusions. I am in a great remission right now and feel 95% normal.

How long you can stay on them usually depends on how long they continue working. A few people on here have had great results for 7 years or so on Remicade.

It's not altogether true that you can't use the biologics again once you stop. KatieSue and Tammy have both started Remi again. I think there is an antibody test that you can take to tell you if your body will accept it again.
Good luck!

I use Low Dose Naltrexone to keep my immune system stronger/ and or more normal.

It has kept me symptom free so far for over a year. I also take 500mg of Ginger and Turmeric for Crohn's but mostly for other health benefits. I also take Krill Oil.

Dan