• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

tree bark cure for crohns

Anyone read todays sun news paper.lady in it today saying she has cured her crohns disease by eating tree bark......
she says she is going to sell the secret remedy to pharmaceutical company.
do you think she has found something or just "barking up a tree" :wink:

Last edited:
I don't have anything to say about the post, just wanted to say thanks for the chuckle about "barking up a tree"!!! :rof:

SarahBear

:eek2: What on earth gave her the idea of eating tree in the first place?!

If it works, then that's awesome! However, it seems kind of... basic. I feel like if there were something in the bark of a tree that cured or treated Crohn's, someone would already have figured that out. But then again, the world is always surprising us. Maybe it's a rare tree.

Wow, interesting. Who knows though, ancient civilizations have been curing illness with using plants and herbs and different stuff for years.

I do know that there is a tree resin called mastic gum that comes from the tree that works well in killing the bacteria H-pylori. So who knows, anything is possible I guess... Not sure my squirrels would appreciate me knawing on their tree though :D

i just heard about this, my boss asked if i had seen it.....
Why on earth did a woman decide to eat bark on a tree???
was she out walking and got pekish... how do you know its cured and not in remission?
very odd but all have our fingers crossed... an be sure to eat random things whilst out on a stroll :-/
x

D Bergy, I believe she actually experimented with different types of bark and now orders them from a web site and has created her own recipe. She stated she thought she probably posioned herself a couple of times before getting the formula right.

also..... she wants to sell the cure......
me personally if i found a cure that could help people from crohns to not have any operations, illnesses, pain, depression, or worse.. id more than happy to give the cure away!!!!!!

I know,having suffered for all the years she has,then alledgedly cured you would think she would pass on her wisdom instead of trying to sell on and make a profit but again most medicine's are derived from tree's plants and stuff so chances are she is either very lucky,lying to gain pulicity or just mad.how many people have claimed to cure their crohns and turn out to be "radio rental"
if she is cured good luck but if it was me i think that i would think of the millions who suffer day in day out and give them a heads up....time will tell if she is telling porkie's or not....she might even be on this forum lol

if she is.... selfish cow!!!!!i know some people are skint or its for their family..but think of those people who loose family members.. id give anybody anything... maybe i should start to ber selfish. but i believe in karma ..
we can all hope cos all of us would pay for a cure.... just spent another 30 English pound on meds today might save my money an go eat a tree
:p

nightmare debbielouisa,move to sunny scotland,our scottish pounds stay in our pockets when it comes to paying for meds.... :)

sunny!?? seriously. i live in dull doncaster..... it can't be any brighter.. how come a four hour drive distance can change nhs rules.... crazy

I was curious as there are many substances that come from tree bark

The active ingredient in aspirin is from willow bark. Pycnogenol comes from some kind of pine bark or needles, don't remember which. Xylitol comes from Birch bark.

Those are just the ones I am familiar with.

Dan

My guess would be the Chaga mushroom, though it is already available in various forms and at pretty outrageous prices. It looks like a black, bubbly tumor on birch trees and actually, once cracked open, looks like wood.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote about it in the 60s, and said it was used to treat stomach cancers with great success. This was in his novel Cancer Ward, and I'm not up to speed how factual it is.

My daughter had to do a project on folk medicines of different countries and she chose the Chaga mushroom. If I remember correctly from her presentation it was used in Eastern European countries for the treatment of stomach cancer and other ailments of the digestive tracts. Wow, she did this report before my son was diagnosed with CD but I remember something about weak teas being made from the mushroom for treatment of ulcers and some scientific study backing up some of the reasons the treatments worked so well. Thanks, mnsun for the memory jog!

I read that she was claiming mostly Slippery Elm to be the fix. Slippery Elm is used for a lot of maladies, though I don't know much about it...and closed mind that I am, don't really care. Too many variables.

Slippery elm has a lubricating, mucilagenous effect on the digestive tract and noticeably moves things a bit more smoothly. Not sure if the capsules have much of an effect, but I've made the tea which tastes just fine.

Cinnamon, honey, and a tsp, or two, of slippery elm powder to 8oz of hot water makes a oatmealy tasting concoction.

Hi Mnsun,

I also have slippery elm powder. Can I ask how you make the tea?? I tried making it with the tea bags I have but it just falls right through the bag and I get a mug full of powder ( well slime after I steep it). Are you suppose to just mix the powder with the hot water and just drink it( like you would hot cocoa)????

Slippery elm has a lubricating, mucilagenous effect on the digestive tract and noticeably moves things a bit more smoothly. Not sure if the capsules have much of an effect, but I've made the tea which tastes just fine.

Cinnamon, honey, and a tsp, or two, of slippery elm powder to 8oz of hot water makes a oatmealy tasting concoction.

I have tried slimery elm before no major effect for me after a month so I did stop takeing it. I tested it about 4 years ago. It makes your inside of the mouth feel slipery. The native americans used it alot of stomach aches.

Gianni

I definitely believe in the theory and idea. Just how fruits and other skin based produce holds a lot of the beneficial chemicals in the skin, trees hold much of their's in the bark. Unfortunately this will brush over in a few days, and be completely ignored in a few months.

Gianni

:eek2: I feel like if there were something in the bark of a tree that cured or treated Crohn's, someone would already have figured that out. .
not trying to be negative here but there arent very many people trying that hard to figure out other peoples problems. there are only a few people trying to figure out other peoples problems, the majority are naturally focused on their own problems.

Our pharmacist said that there are a lot of effective treatments that dont have a patent, so therefore do not cost of make a lot of money. Doctors are usually going to go down the path of what has been approved by the FDA, but there could be many other effective treatments which we hope to find out more about after our daughters Crohns is in remission. I thought it was interesting that a pharmacist was even suggesting ingesting worms or having a healthy persons fecal matter being transplanted in a diseased colon. I did some research and wasnt exactly convinced that would work, but might look into the tree bark..... I am sure a Chinese herbalist would already have that available. thanks for the information and I love all the comments: "sounds barking mad, who wood have guessed it?"

SarahBear

not trying to be negative here but there arent very many people trying that hard to figure out other peoples problems. there are only a few people trying to figure out other peoples problems, the majority are naturally focused on their own problems.
Scientists and drug companies and whoever else really like finding stuff that works so doctors will prescribe it. Money for them. :)

Furthermore, I doubt she has found a cure. More likely, a different kind of treatment and she is in remission.

... I thought it was interesting that a pharmacist was even suggesting ingesting worms or having a healthy persons fecal matter being transplanted in a diseased colon...
You might be interested in reading the article on Fecal Transplant in the Forum Wiki. This also lists quite a lot of threads discussing this form of treatment, including at least one Forum member who is using it.

Gianni

Scientists and drug companies and whoever else really like finding stuff that works so doctors will prescribe it. Money for them.
Drug companies will not pursue something that cannot be patented (natural things cannot be patented). They also have no interest in a cure as they have shareholders that they need to impress. Maintenance makes money, not cures.

Gianni

SarahBear

Drug companies will not pursue something that cannot be patented (natural things cannot be patented). They also have no interest in a cure as they have shareholders that they need to impress. Maintenance makes money, not cures.

Gianni
As I said, I doubt she has cured herself. remission is more likely, in my opinion.

As someone else said (or I may be thinking of a comment in a Facebook group), they would likely try to make changes until they can patent it. Either way, new medicine.

However, I'm only speculating, just like everyone else.

I dont know wether she is really trying to make money or she really has found a cure..all I want ATM is, that whatever she says is true.

I dont know wether she is really trying to make money or she really has found a cure..all I want ATM is, that whatever she says is true.

that is exactly my question, what is the credibility of the report? is the SUN a reliable source of information?
how credible is her testimony? remain skeptical until more information is released. maybe true maybe not.

that is exactly my question, what is the credibility of the report? is the SUN a reliable source of information?
how credible is her testimony? remain skeptical until more information is released. maybe true maybe not.
I think The Sun is a reliable source. And yes, more informations is needed to be sure that whatever she says is true, but again we have had exceptional cases like a person curing himself with only Aloe Vera juice.

......but honestly as a crohns' patient of 48 years..and at an age of 72 years..this behavior of selling the formula to a pharmaceutical giant doesnt suit her. at this stage she is expected to be much more mature on the subject since its a desease she is well aware of and must be knowing what a crohns patient goes through.

I heard about this and find it some how hard to believe. I also wonder when did she decide today Im going to eat some bark but if it is a genuine cure, (not going to get my hopes up) then brilliant!

I just heard her on the Radio.
I agree with a lot of what you guys have already said. How will any of us ever know if there is a cure if we can show no sign of crohn's when in remission. If hers never comes back until she dies then thats just one step closer to knowing.
Also, if she wants to sell, then it will have to go through clinical trials, they will have to work out exactly what it is that is causing the changes.
I think it brings to light how much people will do to try and get rid of this horrible disease.

Just saw my gastroenterologist and had just heard it on the radio.
He laughed then sighed saying he wished it were that easy.

David

Co-Founder
I'm growing a tree called, "Moringa Oleifera". I add the leaves to smoothies and soups because of its healing properties and incredible nutrient density (more vitamin C than oranges, more vitamin A than carrots, more protein than yogurt, etc etc). It's truly an amazing tree and the bark is supposed to contain a more concentrated form of whatever healing properties it has. I haven't experimented with the bark yet though. I absolutely believe such things can improve symptoms and maybe even lead to remission. I don't believe tree bark from any tree will cure IBD but hey, who knows. I'd certainly love to be wrong.

^^^I think the main reason behind me being in remission and continue to be in is the vegetable that I had mentioned ever since I joined this forum..its bottle gourd. I take it daily and is known for its healing properties..thus I am hopeful that people here who claim that my IBD will be cured with this vegetabl are true. I can certainly find it helping me already.

I seem to have posted a post that disappeared!

It said that salicylates (the main ingredients of aminosalicylates used in IBD) are derived from the Willow tree...but of course purified and dose controlled etc

And David, oh green fingered one! - you are turning into a regular Barbara from 'The Good Life' !!

Sid, are you able to get the seeds for that gourd? Where I'm at, I can grow most things that grow well in India.
sure David..I would love to send the seeds of Kaddu (thats what we call it in Hindi :D) and I really want everyone to try it. My first sugestion would be to try to contact some Indian person (if you know any) and ask about it...cause that seems to be an easier way...or else I am always there. I wil send you the seeds.

Which one? All of them?
yups ! all of them are kaddu (although am not sure of the last on one in the left, never seen that). All of them have the same properties...although the long stick like kaddus are considered best(top right). Go for that.

Just one advice : If you are taking juice form it..first taste a little raw kaddu..if its bitter in taste do not use it..use it only if it taste 'not bitter'.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hmmmm, I wonder if she had a compulsion to eat bark because she had Pica. In the deep recesses of my mind I recall, I think, that a zinc deficiency can cause a pica and one of the cravings is for wood. Perhaps the reversal of a zinc deficiency helped things along for her in becoming symptom free.

Just musing. :)

Dusty. xxx

A common Pica around here is a geophagia of Kaolin, a white clay that is used in ceramics, tooth pastes, cosmetics and meds for diarrhea. I've only met a couple of people who actually chewed or ate this clay, I worked at a local arboretum and came in contact with some tourists that actually fancied chewing on Kaolin and came by to read our histories posted on it. They both started craving it when they became pregnant and it was common in their family, which had been in the area since before the civil war.

I remember as a mischievous younger person faking a stool sample by adding feathers and telling consultant that patient had pica involving eating birds feathers. He believed me for a short time....

PICA is very often associated with lead poisoning or iron deficiency...I wonder how much iron is in bark?

The tree bark that's being referred to is actually a "Chaga" mushroom. Its a mushroom that grows on the tree bark. It supposedly has the potential for reducing the inflammation of IBD. Do a search on "Chaga for Crohn's" and you'll get all the info you need. I'm going to try the product. I've had great experiences with medicinal mushrooms for other conditions and for my pets and swear by it. Try starting here but there's tons of info out there:

altmedicine.about.com/od/herbsupplementguide/a/chaga.htm

Hope it helps us all!

kiny

"http://iospress.metapress.com/content/e2l485mx55336l05/

Najafzadeh M, Reynolds PD, Baumgartner A, Jerwood D, Anderson D.
Source

Division of Biomedical Sciences, University of Bradford, Bradford, UK.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) is partly caused by oxidative stress from free radicals and reduced antioxidant levels. Using hydrogen peroxide to induce oxidative stress in vitro in peripheral lymphocytes we investigated the induction of DNA damage supplemented with ethanolic extract of Chaga mushroom as a protective antioxidant. Lymphocytes were obtained from 20 IBD patients and 20 healthy volunteers. For treatment, a constant H_{2}O_{2 } dose (50 μg/ml) was used with variable doses of Chaga extract (10–500 μg/ml). DNA damage was evaluated in 50 cells per individual and dose using the Comet assay (making 1000 observations per experimental point ensuring appropriate statistical power). Chaga supplementation resulted in a 54.9% (p < 0.001) reduction of H_{2}O_{2 } induced DNA damage within the patient group and 34.9% (p < 0.001) within the control group. Lymphocytes from Crohn's disease (CD) patients had a greater basic DNA damage than Ulcerative Colitis (UC) patients (p < 0.001). Conclusively, Chaga extract reduces oxidative stress in lymphocytes from IBD patients and also healthy individuals when challenged in vitro. Thus, Chaga extract could be a possible and valuable supplement to inhibit oxidative stress in general.
"

(I take no responsibility if anyone falls dead from eating trees or falling out of trees)