• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Trouble putting on weight?

Hi, I'm an extremely petite girl and no matter how much I eat I can never gain weight. Whether in a flare or not I still have trouble putting on weight and sometimes end up losing more weight even if I'm eating well. I have a formal event coming soon and my legs literally look like sticks. :( Does anybody know any way to gain weight effectively with crohns? I've seen people try the muscle building method and their size do get bigger. Have anyone tried this? Any suggestions is appreciated!

nogutsnoglory

It can be hard to gain with these illness. Have you tried high carb supplement drinks like ensure? You can buy the plus version which is more fattening. I find dairy and wheat really help me add on weight.

I had hard time gaining my weight back after surgery. Nutritional expert at hospital told me to drink supplements and spoonful or two of olive oil every day. And do not use any "light" products theyre not not good anyways. Its hard to get more weight, I lost what I had and some muscle mass after surgery and it took a lot of time to get it back. If you can exercise and tolerate supplements, gaining some muscle is easier than just gaining weight.