• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Try this out

Hey guys

I found a new weapon in my fight against Crohn's. Its great therapy - going to a comedy club. I went to one on Friday night and spent two hours laughing and smiling my head off(if such a thing can occur) and in the days since its the best I've felt since having this stupid disease.

I'm defineltey going again, I know we often talk of the stress of Crohn's and whether the mind rules the body. Well they do say that laughter is the best medicine.

Just thought I'd recommend it that's all

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
i watch you been framed and harry hills tv burp. that makes my side ache so much that i get sticthes.

James, just be careful. Sometimes when you get laughing to hard things happen and it ain't smelling like roses.

what the heck, Do it again anyway.

Merrywidow - You're right Harry Hill is awesome - love that guy. He's a ray of light amongst the rubbish ITV calls TV nowadays.

Shazz- if only I didn't live 6000 odd miles away!We could cheer each other up

Pirate -I like your attitude - soil yourself in public for the sake of your own laughter. That's the kind of attitude that I respect - who cares what others think!

Kim - It's all about the LOLS.

Think I'm gonna go see this man soon - my favourite stand up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1H913UqQ6w

Hey James, that's the same reason I'm nearly addicted to stand up comedy. I love a hilarious comedian. I had recently watched some of Greg Giraldo's new stuff, "Midlife Vices", and Bill Burr's "Why Do I Do This", and I felt so uplifted I didn't have a care in the world for hours afterwards. I wanted to watch it again while showing people, spreading the laughter. I've loved standup comedy for years, good standup though, not just any. Bill Cosby, Robin Williams, Dave Attell, Eddie Murphy, Frank Caliendo, Jim Gaffigan, Jeff Dunham, Pablo Francisco, Daniel Tosh, Ron White, Gabriel Iglesias, Demetri Martin, Mitch Hedberg, and even some of Dane Cook. That's just off the top of my head, I have about 120 total shows, anywhere from 20 minutes up to 2 hours long each.

I really like a few of Eddie Izzard's and Ricky Gervais' stuff from the UK, others are hard to understand over there either because of the thick accent or slang/dialect and words you guys use.

Good post, James.
I'm glad to see all the "TV burp" fans... I thought it was just me!
Just a word of warning... live comedy shows can seem so much more hilarious than TV comedy (must be the atmosphere)... but on two occasions I've actually laughed so much I thought I felt something "snap" inside me! Be careful out there!

Yeah, he's got some great stuff too. I've watched a bit on youtube, he uses a lot of slang and has a thick Scottish accent, but was really good. What I could understand was amusing, he talked about a colonoscopy, it was funny, but a lot of how he told it was a bit on the heavily-accented side for my American ears. It was only a few words here and there, it wasn't anything really major that I couldn't get, but it was intermittent and sometimes at key points in each bit, where I NEEDED to understand it to get it. I liked Eddie Izzard's bit on computers, and his accent was a little thick, but I think the thicker it is the more words there are that I won't decipher or the more slang they use that prevents me from getting a joke. I'm still learning slang from this forum, words like posh and "haddies" (spelling on that one?) and "it's pissing outside" and the like...

I watched something else also, another clip of Connolly's I think about kids, and it was pretty funny, and I understand most of what he's getting at with each bit, but I think it takes away from it when he uses some slang here and there as the punchline or a climactic twist to a joke and I'm not as used to hearing people talk like that. I can only imagine how funny he would be if I were living in the UK, born and raised. :)

Edit: yeah Steve, I've seen 3 live comedy shows, and it's even better in person, especially because it's live, there's something about that and the audience and the environment that elevates it.

Edit 2: here, I'll put a link to Bill Burr's stuff in the Hijack thread in the lounge for a sample of what I watched recently, it's explicit with language and content, so it's safer that way

BWS you would have thought that speaking a common language it would all be so clear!

In terms of American stand up - Robin Williams,George Carlin,Eddie Murphy stand out for me. Might look up some of those other guys - I know Demetri Martin because he's on Flight of the Conchords. And I watched a bit of Jeff Dunham the other day - Ahhhmed the Dead Terrorist is brilliant.

Think out of Brit stand ups Jack Dee,Sean Lock,Harry Hill,Lee Evans and Stewart Lee are my favourites.

The guy I went to see was called Reginald D Hunter - he's quite big in Britain - he's a huge 6"6 American from Georgia who lives in Britain, he does loads of good observational stuff about Britain and its comparisons with the States. He did an awesome skit about going back to Georgia and pretending not to know who Jesus is.

Jesus WHO?... Is he some kind of Mexican superhero or something?

Benson, you listed some of my favorites, but my all time fav was Mitch Hedberg. What a hilarious, hilarious guy...it was such a sad day for comedy when he died.

I have an XM radio and love to listen to the comedy channels while driving, especially on a long road trip...it makes the time fly by.

I love comedy. I'm a big fan of Jeff Dunham and Demetri Martin. I also like when Ed Burns slates Alanis Morissette's Ironic.

Ben Elton - there have been times when I have thought he must spy on me because surely he is talking about my own daily humiliations! The Sperm Whale Skit - legendary! The bedroom scene - I swear to god he must have seen my and my husband - excruciating... I recently saw him live... I also nearly pooped my pants from laughing so hard...

I also find that while at the time "Crohn's related incidents" (yeh you all know EXACTLY what I am talking about) are truly awful... usually within a few days I can have a laugh regaling my friends with my most recent ludicrous sharting incidents! I seem to have a real knack for either doing it in style or somewhere really silly!

Laughter really is the best medicine - especially when we can get over ourselves enough to be come the object of the satire!

Lishyloo x

James I should PM you about this one guy who I think was British (could have been Australian, it was a long time ago I saw his stuff and at this point the accent is a bit hazy)...He was awesome. He had a great delivery and style, and was on Comedy Central Best of type deal, but I never caught the name.

He'd had one bit where he said he went into a store because the sign said "Manager's Special" and he said "He wasn't but I went in anyway"..."I asked the guy if he had Word for Windows, and he shouted "GLASS!!!" ...

That's the only stuff I remember that I can post that isn't inappropriate, the rest is lounge-worthy or I should send a PM.

He had brown hair, slightly husky, but not by much. Wish I could find him on Youtube or something to show...

Yes, it's sometimes hard to decipher what a thick accent is saying as I hear it in movies and stuff, but with some bits, you have to hear the punchline words or it makes no sense, and if it's slang or it's thick accented, I can't grab it and will have to rewind a few times.

I loved Mitch Hedberg too. I have his comedy albums on my ipod. :)

The worst thing a comedian can do is start their own television show. I saw Important Things with Demetri Martin and I was very disappointed. I think he's a funny guy but he just doesn't work in that format (and the laugh track was atrocious). Although there are exceptions... Flight of the Conchords was a great show, especially the first season. The second season was decent, but the songs that the episodes were built around weren't near as good as the first ones for the most part. It is understandable though, considering they used their already existing material for the first season.