• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Trying a 2 piece, need some advice

Hi peeps, its been a while! how is everyone? So i've decided to give a 2 piece a go, maybe not as a permanent switch but there may be times where it comes in handy. I've asked a few people for samples and some have just come from coloplast today, got the sensura and assura. I normally use salts barrier rings, but im guessing this will be no good with these flanges? they look a bit smaller than what im used to, also how long could you generally get away with wearing a flange as opposed to a 1 piece? my main reason for trying these is that im going to be going to a music festival in the next few months, and hoping to go on holiday aswell soon, so having a flange that i dont need to change quite as often might be usefull. will i be ok getting them wet and stuff to?

sorry if im asking too many questions at once!

PsychoJane

Hello!
I use the 2 piece Sensura Click. I'm not familiar with the Salts barrier rings so I won't be of much use on that aspect. All I can say is that I've been able to use the coloplast flange without even using paste and it did not leak. It last a little less longer without putting anything though. I change my flange every 5-7 days and it stays there fine all that time.

They respond well to water but beware, they get a bit messy. You see the type of material of the flange? Well it kinda get hydrated and get swollen and "gelatinousy" kinda. It is no big deal but you will be able to wipe some "substance" around the flange if you go swimming for hours. In condition of high humidity and when I swim (we are talking going to the beach and staying in the water maybe 3hours worth a day), I would change it every 3-4 days for personal comfort.

I hope it will be the same for you but since I use that stuff... never had a leak. The flange should never give up on you. I can only warn you to make sure the bag is fully and perfectly clipped before double-clicking it. It happens to me often as I use disposable so I am always playing with it so sometimes I don't click it find and it moves... but it's my fault and not a default. If I were to always pay total attention to what I do, I would never have issues of that kind.

Last edited:
Hey Martin:

I use the Coloplast 2-piece system (Sensura Click). I had used Hollister products before and I've been using the Hollister barrier ring with the Coloplast flange quite successfully. I tend to only use half of the barrier ring and mold it to my stoma size. I would suggest giving it a try with the Salts and see how it works.

I automatically change on Mondays and Thursdays. If I'm lazy, I've been able to go 5-6 days before changing without any leaks. Mind you, I'm happy to push it in the winter, but don't know if I'd do the same in the summer with the risk of the heat loosening some of the adhesive. I also stick to the Monday/Thursday schedule if I've been out swimming or showering daily since I don't usually cover my appliance at all during showers or swimming. I'm too paranoid to take too many risks!

I just want to say that I've not had a single leak with the Coloplast. As PsycoJane says, sometimes the bag feels a bit weird after a shower, and if I have limited time, then I just throw out the bag and put a new one on. That's one of the reasons I like a 2 piece system---you can change the bag without having to change the entire outfit.

Sounds like you've got quite the summer lined up -- I hope you have a grand, leak-free time!

Kismet

Thanks for the replies, Put the sensura Click on this morning and so far so good, no rings or anything so I'll see how it goes. the bit where the bag connects to the flange feels a bit bulkier because im used to a one piece but certainly nothing to major. with my one piece it could take a shower or a swim but it didnt tend to last long afterwards and would need changing because it would feel bery unfomfortable so it will be interesting to see how this one copes.

Terriernut

I've been very happy with Coloplast. I use the sensura flex. Until the last 24 hours, it's been brill. If you are swimming alot, get yourself some tegaderm tape. It will seal the edges of the flange, and you wont have to worry!

Normally, I would get 4-6 days out of the flex.

is the flex the one where the bag sort of sticks on rather than with the locking mechanism? im only about 12 hours in but so far so good, Ive only got "midi" bags which aren't probably as big as id like but ill make sure i get through my samples before i go ordering to much stuff, I think being able to change to a bigger bag at night in particular or if im travelling is going to be a god send.

as for the tagaderm, does anyone know where I can get this cheap? I remember someone posting a link to a cheaper alternative on here a while back and cant for the life of me remember what it was called.

Terriernut

Yes, thats the flex. I really like the flex system cause it's so easy to change the size of bag you are using.

I would like to find the cheaper version of tegaderm as well. But I've found some stuff on amazon.

Yes, thats the flex. I really like the flex system cause it's so easy to change the size of bag you are using.

I would like to find the cheaper version of tegaderm as well. But I've found some stuff on amazon.
Just googled and found out that its called "opsite flexifx" , I can get this with fittleworths, they dont have tagaderm I don't think so I'll give that a try. God i wish I'd tried this sooner!!

Terriernut

Thats it. But...they do have tegaderm. It's in like bandage size. I use the little ones to put on the top of my flange, and on the sides.

ahh ill have a look then. Do you use pastes or anything btw? I've just taken my bag of and had a look and i can't tell if anything is getting underneath etc, cant feel any itching but im not sure, Guess ill have a better idea in the morning. if i make it that far. Is it weird that I'm getting excited just because I'm trying a new ostomy bag? :lol:

I have only used 2 piece systems, Hollister mostly since my operation. I just use the flange and the bag. I have never used any pastes, or eakins, or whatever. I sometimes feel like I should be since everyone else seems to . . .

I have not had any skin problems, leaks, etc. I do change everything out like every 2-3 days though. I get enough for free through insurance to change every other day though. Most I have worn the flange is for about 4 days and then it starts to look a little ragged.

Terriernut

Martin, I was using Salts seals. They worked great. Dont know why, but the last two days, they havent worked at all. So I stopped. No need for seals if you dont have skin problems. But if you do get skin problems, they are nice to have to hand.

Thanks for the link Kaz. I've been using me fix for the last 12 months which is ok for securing stuff a bit but is useless as far as water is concerned. just checked everything this morning and it looks ok. the area of the flange immediately around my stoma is a lot lighter looking as oppossed to the rest of it, dunno if its cos its not stuck down but nothing seems to have gotten under there, atleast not yet anyway.

Well I've officially moved over to a 2 piece, Not had a single leak since I started using this coloplast sensura and ive been getting 4 nights out of my bags and could probably get more if wanted to. why did I not get these sooner! got the maxi and midi bags, tend to just keep the maxi bags on they hide under my clothes anyway but the midi ones will be fine for when im on holiday round the pool etc