• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Trying to figure this out

Hello, in 1998 I was rushed to the hospital. Hours later I had surgery to remove scar tissue that caused 100% small intestional obstruction. A few days later the staples busted open and I was given a blood thinner by mistake. A 2nd surgery ensued and I ended up losing my terminal ileum and 40% of my colon due to Ecoli and staph infections. Nineteen years later I am still suffering with constant diarrhea, dehydration, malabsorption of B-12 and other nutrients. I get B-12 injections and have to be admitted to the hospital for malnutrition. For almost a year now I get severe bloating and cramps. There is no pattern to figure out why. I can sip water slowly and still get the horrible pain from gas and bloating. I drink Pedialyte to stay hydrated but that only helps so much. My Dr. Told me to try Gas-x. It does not help. I eat bland foods and often resort back to a soft diet. I have tried probiotics but wonder if they help since I still have problems. Anybody else have this problem?

Last edited:
Hi. Seven years ago, I had a resection. They took my terminal ileum and a small part of my colon. I have had a problem with absorbing nutrients. Do you take vitamins? Have you tried any nutrition shakes? I have tried Gas X but didn't stick with it.

So, i'm not sure this would work for you but it's something I recently discovered. I started drinking komboucha, it's a fermented tea and loaded with vitamin B. I tend to get low on vit b and magnesium. However, I"ve had loads more energy since I started drinking it. Maybe it's something to try, with all of your bloating i'm not sure how you'd handle it.